Respected Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in June 2017

[ Edited ]

welcome partdeux. where are you from. what you said about your weather sounds like what we are having here in rhode island. for dinner tonight maria made marinaded pork mashed potato and mixed vegi. came out really good. used new george forman grill. we love it.

Respected Contributor

mousiegirl. my wife makes 7up biscuits. there are very good. you should love them. they come out nice and fluffy . good luck.

Respected Contributor

welcome 1905salad. nice to see some new people to share there thoughts with us. hope everyone has a great night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PartDeux wrote:

Mousiegirl, your ham sandwiches sound good. Especially the biscuits!  Cutting down on carbs is not an easy thing for me.  I'll have to live vicariously through you!!

I have the larger Paula Deen air fryer.  I know some have had problems with the coating coming off the basket, but so far so good.  I hand wash mine so maybe that's the difference.

@PartDeux  Thank you.  I wish the air fryers weren't so huge as right now I don't know where I could put it, too many other appliances and decor. Smiley Happy  Maybe one day I will take the plunge.

I can relate re carbs.  I don't eat as much as I used to, mostly protein, mixed greens, some veges,and berries.  Blueberries are my friend, filling, loaded with fiber and antioxidants, and refreshing on hot days, one cup is only eighty calories. Smiley Happy  During winter, I get the organic frozen blueberries at Costco, even more flavorful than the fresh.

Respected Contributor

Hi Mousiegirl - so glad to see you here!!! Looks like everyone is keeping real busy. Are any of you in triple digit temps? Yuck for sure. I am and have been and would love to run away somewhere. Really difficult by late afternoon and unfortunately too much time at night. I woke up at 1 a.m. and have not been able to go back to sleep so I started a load of clothes going. Do not have many but this is a good time to run appliances since here they charge you higher premiums if you use these appliances during a normal large consumer time of the day. Yep, they get every nickle out of you they can. Everything is now on the auto meters - I think I may have mentioned somewhere we no longer have meter readers for gas, electricity or water. They just sit in their offices and can see every minute of the day what you are using and they can put in the extra rates AND the electric company sends me reminders I am using considerably more than my neighbors. Will someone talk to Davey - he does NOT listen at all. I also have oxygen running most of the time so what can I say.

Last night we snuck out for Mexican - I had chili relanos, rice and beans of course and I always get the flour tortillas with some butter to eat with it. Very very good.

Am debating putting some black eyed peas on for dinner. At least I will not have to stand over that stove for any great amount of time. LOL. And I can eat black eyed peas most any time of the year.

Welcome back everyone - hope you stop by today. I was going to post last night but was way too tired - sorry about that.

Contributor

Good morning everyone!  Well, last night's luau was a lot of fun.  It was a beautiful night to be outside. There was a show with Polynesian dancers and a fire stick dancer. At one point the emcee called all of the men that work at our company up and had them take their shirts off (!), dress in grass skirts and coconut bras and had them do the hula.  It was hilarious.  Everyone was a good sport and had a lot of fun!  There was a big buffet, but I stuck to eating roast pork, fruit and a couple tortellini kabobs. So, not too bad. Even only had one glass of wine and water the rest of the night!

Winifred, I raised a boy so I know how they can be sometimes. I would look at my son and think to myself, where did this boy come from??  I know that it takes a lot of energy, but stick with it. Someday he will appreciate all that you do for him. 

Mousie, you're right about air fryers being so big.  My husband calls me the kitchen gadget queen.  I do use everything that I buy but it is a pain to have to figure out were to store everything. 

Pooky, I am in SE PA. I guess our weather can be similar.  Looks like a nice day today.

Well, I don't know what's for dinner tonight.  My huband gets home earlier than I do, so maybe he will figure it out!  

Enjoy your day!

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Hi Mousiegirl - so glad to see you here!!! Looks like everyone is keeping real busy. Are any of you in triple digit temps? Yuck for sure. I am and have been and would love to run away somewhere. Really difficult by late afternoon and unfortunately too much time at night. I woke up at 1 a.m. and have not been able to go back to sleep so I started a load of clothes going. Do not have many but this is a good time to run appliances since here they charge you higher premiums if you use these appliances during a normal large consumer time of the day. Yep, they get every nickle out of you they can. Everything is now on the auto meters - I think I may have mentioned somewhere we no longer have meter readers for gas, electricity or water. They just sit in their offices and can see every minute of the day what you are using and they can put in the extra rates AND the electric company sends me reminders I am using considerably more than my neighbors. Will someone talk to Davey - he does NOT listen at all. I also have oxygen running most of the time so what can I say.

Last night we snuck out for Mexican - I had chili relanos, rice and beans of course and I always get the flour tortillas with some butter to eat with it. Very very good.

Am debating putting some black eyed peas on for dinner. At least I will not have to stand over that stove for any great amount of time. LOL. And I can eat black eyed peas most any time of the year.

Welcome back everyone - hope you stop by today. I was going to post last night but was way too tired - sorry about that.

@Winifred  The heat is bad here also, a few days ago it was over 100, now late 80's-90.  Sleeping is fitful when it is so hot.  My poor pups, especially one who has much more coat than the other, suffer, so fans are blasting away. I take a wet towel to bed with me and rub it all over, keeping it around my neck and on my chest area under my you know what, lol, gets very hot there.  I let them out in the patch in the mornings, and bring them in when the heat revs up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night, I did make the 7-up biscuits, but at one point, I realized that some directions were not present in the recipe, but I knew what to do to fix the gloppy mess I had.  My hands looked as if I were wearing gloves, lol.  They turned out well, so made ham and cheese sandwiches for DH by spreading a mixture of Dijon and mayo on the biscuits, topped with ham and cheese, and a wad of spring greens. The biscuits were so light, that they fell apart easily, but just crammed them in our mouths, lol.

I googled for more recipes for these biscuits so will try them at some point.

Contributor

I bought a loaf of milk and butter bread from a local bakery and made a sandwich with an egg and cheddar cheese earlier. I just had another slice with roasted peppers, garlic and basil. That bread is a weakness of mine, it's so soft.

For dinner, for my dh, I think I'll make him some grilled, thin sliced chicken breasts on a gluten free wrap, saute onions and peppers, plus I'll add lettuce, tomato,  lactose free cheddar, guac, and hot salsa. He likes fajitas, there will be plenty for tomorrow. 

I spent a large part of the day running errands, but managed to get the beach for an hour . Have a good day.

Respected Contributor

its ok winifred that you didnt write last night for you were tired. your forgiven and we understand. dont know how your dealing with that extreme heat. maria made southwestern chowder tonight. very good and plenty left over. when its hot out i will take a ice cold shower. it helps my ms. hope everyone has a great night.