Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Use Your Food Processer??

@ECBG wrote:

@house_cat 

I know you cook and bake a lot.  Do you use a processer a lot for cooking prep?

I received a Cuisinart for a housewarming gift in 1989.  It eventually needed a bowl replacement, which cost about $30. 

I don't use it often enough to warrant countertop space, but I wouldn't want to be without it for certain tasks:

• shredding carrots for carrot cake
  • making pie or pizza dough
  • slicing zucchini for a quiche that I make often
  • slicing potatoes for scalloped dishes
  • making pesto

For everyday jobs, I'm much more likely to use my little chopper with the pull cord.  I love that thing!

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

I keep mine on the counter and use it more than my mixer.  Both are Kitchen Aid and always on my counter.  I shred chunks of cheese, so much better than buying already shredded cheese, making salsa, mixing dips, chopping and slicing.  If it's a small job, I use my small Kuhn pull chopper.  Just made homemade tarter sauce yesterday for chopping the dill pickles and onions.  If I had to guess I would say I use the food processor once a week.  Sadly, I don't use it for making homemade dog food anymore, but I have to say it was money well spent.  Yes, it's cumbersome to wash, but I immediately hand wash it after using.  Time wise I think you are still ahead of the game.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use mine for pesto, hummus, and "pestata" ( which is a base for soups and other things.)  I also use it to mince the veggies for bolognese, which I don't make all that often.

Additionally, I have found that I prefer to make bread dough in the food processor rather than in my KA mixer.   Actually, I use my Cuisinart more than my  mixer.

I'm currently on my second Cuisinart, and I must say I like my original one better.  

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

What brand of food processer do you have please and how much do you use it?

I am tired of chopping vegetables and make a lot of stews  pot roasts, and soups with vegetables.

I would only make one or two salad dressing type items.

Storage is not an issue.  I built this house with a large walk in pantry.

Many thanks.Smiley Happy

I have the large and small Kitchen aide from QVC. I use the small one all the time, lg one in the basment,I live alone but bought it to make pizza dough, too hard to mess with. The small one I make cole slaw in, has 2 bowls, I like it, not hard to clean. If you have a lot of people to feed I'd get the big one. 

Honored Contributor

I have a Hamilton Beach food processor, that I received as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago, and I also have a Vitamix.  The Vitamix is a fantastic machine but I rarely used anymore, just occasionally.  I'd like to sell it, but doubt  could recoup even half of what I spent on it.  The food processor is used more regularly for shredding cheese and sometimes certain recipes.  i do my veggies by hand. 

Honored Contributor

I never use mine anymore, its going in a consignment auction one of these days.  I'm pretty good with a chef's knife, but I still like playing around, so I bought Zakarian slicer, makes nice even slices for pickles.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

Same as @Effie54  I do love the one I have, but it is such a pain to clean, that I only use it for shredding carrots, making cheesecake filling, and maybe a couple of other uses.  Because I use it so seldom (but am glad I have it when I need it), I bought an inexpensive Hamilton Beach 14-cup Big Mouth.  I got it on Amazon.  It works very well.  I can't see paying more for something that is stored 99% of the time.

@Ainhisg @Effie54 

In so many videos, they say they are dishwasher safe.  We use so much silverware, I run the dishwasher often.

Is using the dishwasher an issue please?

Actually yes, our dishwasher is on the small side. Most of the large parts, such as the big plastic bowl wouldn't fit.

Respected Contributor

We use our VitaMix mostly.  That machine can do everything.  We have a large 14 cup Cuisinart behemoth that very seldom gets used.  Just when we have a large group coming over and need lots of chopping/slicing done.  We also have a mini chopper by Cuisinart.  Very handy when making small amounts of things for just the two of us. Dressings, sauces,etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I have  maybe my fourth one now!  My newest is a Hamilton Beach, I think it's a nine cup, and just perfect.

I use it a lot, I would never want to be without one.  I chop up my celery and onions in it, and freeze for a fast use, I make dog food, so I grind up some chicken and pork in it, and also after the mixed vegetables are cooked in the microwave, they go in the food processor too, and then into the mixture.  When this one wears out, I'll get another Hamilton Beach, it's very easy to clean! 

Respected Contributor

I have a Kitchen Aid....I almost never use it.