Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Use Canned Chicken Breast Meat?

I tried canned chicken once and did not like it. I think it was the texture as opposed to chopped or diced cooked chicken.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I agree about the different texture -- kind of stringy.  I am willing to hide it in chicken noodle soup so I like that convenience, I don't use it for anything else.

Trusted Contributor

I uee the Kirkland brand of Costco's canned chicken breast.  I mix it with Wish Bone Robusto Italian Bold Garlic Flavor Salad Dressing and stuff into mini sweet bell peppers-- saves a few calories instead of eating in on crackers or a sandwich made with bread,. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the casseroles my mom made from the time I was very young was called Chicken ala Can Can.  Super simple - canned chicken, dry Minute Rice, canned cream of chicken and cream of celery soup, water.  Bake for awhile and toward the end of the baking time, top with canned French fried onion rings.  I make it too now and then.  DH loves it.  We don't eat a lot of chicken salad here, but with all the raves for Costco's I might have to try it for that sometime.  I have a couple of really good recipes, I just don't think of making either of them much.

As a matter of fact, future DIL's bridal shower is in a couple of weeks and I'm supposed to make chicken salad croissants.  I had planned on cooking and shredding chicken breasts (what I usually do) but for as many guests as there are going to be, that's going to be a lot of chicken to cook and shred.  Might be a good opportunity to try the canned.  I'll do a trial batch in advance for a taste test.

Super Contributor

I keep a can of chicken breast in house to use in Bear Creek dried chicken

soup mixes.  You never know if hen someone in the house will come down with a cold.

Valued Contributor

My sister-in-law used it to make chicken salad last fall during the hurricaine here in Florda.  It was quite tasty and so very much appreciated.  Nice to have something convenient.