Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Use Canned Chicken Breast Meat?

I get mine at Costco and use it for many things.  You can put together an easy lunch or dinner or make a great soup.  The pets also like it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermomwrote:

I have never tried canned chicken.  What I like is the shredded/pulled rotisserie chicken at Costco sold in vacuum sealed bags.  You can find it in the open deli refrigerated cases.  Delicious!!

I like those too but by the time I drive 36 miles one way to Costco, I can go pluck a chicken from the hen house, wring its neck, pluck the feathers and singe it and not have used the gas.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

@Hoovermomwrote:

I have never tried canned chicken.  What I like is the shredded/pulled rotisserie chicken at Costco sold in vacuum sealed bags.  You can find it in the open deli refrigerated cases.  Delicious!!

I like those too but by the time I drive 36 miles one way to Costco, I can go pluck a chicken from the hen house, wring its neck, pluck the feathers and singe it and not have used the gas.

LOL, Hoovermom,I meant it all in jest and I think that is how you took it.  I do not live on a farm but participated in much of that growing up.  Our family was a community of farmers and mom-and-pop businesses, restaurants, grocers.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

@Nonametodaywrote:

@Hoovermomwrote:

LOL, Hoovermom,I meant it all in jest and I think that is how you took it.  I do not live on a farm but participated in much of that growing up.  Our family was a community of farmers and mom-and-pop businesses, restaurants, grocers.  

@Nonametoday:  I was laughing, imagining you doing what you described.  No offense taken.  Since I live 3 miles from Costco, I don't have to even contemplate getting my own chickens.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamDoodleswrote:

No I will not eat chicken that comes from a can.  Chicken is so easy to cook.  Why would you want to eat the canned stu@DoodlI always have homemade chicken broth in the freezer but why would I want to eat canned chicken?

@IamDoodles I want to eat it because what I tried today was very good.  Because being retired, itis  more trouble to cook for two than when I worked. You have more meals at home. Because I need something quick for sandwiches or soup and don't like to use processed meats with chemicals.  Because it would be great for casseroles.  Because I can use a small amount of chicken and not have to clean up pans or figure out what to do with the rest of the chicken.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. The best canned chicken, IMO, is Wild Planet Organic Roasted Chicken breast - all chicken and no water added. It's BETTER than the Kirkland brand, Swanson's, orBumble Bee.  Wild Planet also has the best albacore tuna. You can buy it at Costco.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday You made me laugh twice tonight! Thank you. 😉

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Regular Contributor

I've always use canned chicken to make Chicken Pot Pie.

Esteemed Contributor

@cookinfreakwrote:

I have used it for many years. I have used it in a buffalo chicken dip recipe and always have people ask for the recipe. It is very convenient. I live alone, so a lot of the time, I don't want to buy a whole rotisserie chicken for a smaller recipe.

cook

-----------------------

I always have canned chicken on hand.  No one here likes dark meat, so buying a whole chicken is a waste for me.  I have always used Swanson's, but may try one of the other brand mentioned in this thread!

Super Contributor

I have never use canned chicken and since pouches of tuna and salmon replaced canned, I like the pouches. Maybe chicken in pouches would be better tasting.

According to everything I've read, canned anything is not healthy because of the inside of the can reacting with the contents.

I use the pouch salmon to make salmon croquettes; they're good.

If I need quick chicken, a rotissiere is the ticket. The best is still fresh chicken. It doesn't take long to cook and is the best flavor to me.

tea