Honored Contributor

Need opinions here.  I just bought two trays of fresh breakfast sausage (one link, one patty) and need to know how to freeze them.  Do you just toss them into the freezer and break off whatever you need at a given time or do you carefully wrap them up in individual packets?

The reason I ask is that I had bacon that I was negligent in terms of sectioning off and wrapping up properly and just cut through the frozen mass for both salads but also full pieces for sandwiches and to be honest I didn't notice a difference in the flavor.

I normally never buy sausages and am concerned as they allow more air around the product themselves that that could effect the taste in a month or so.

Any thoughts, experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Honored Contributor

I think sausage should be packaged into srving amounts and frozen properly or you could get freezer taste.I always buy freezer bags for that reason.

Respected Contributor

I package enough for the 2 of us.  Wrap up tight then use a freezer bag.

Respected Contributor

I freeze in single portion amoints, so I can use only the amount I need.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the other opinions. Freeze in one meal portions. That's why I like the Primo Italian sausages at Costco. They come in perforated sections of 5 sausages each - about a pound. For other sausages, I wrap the portions tightly in plastic and then in freezer bag or tin foil. My son-in-law uses a food saver for his bear sausages and other wild game.

Honored Contributor

I use food saver. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom.  Love the Primo sausages.

Honored Contributor

I freeze in packages of 4-6 patties.  I wrap in freezer paper, which keeps them safe from freezer burn.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Freezing Fresh Sausage

[ Edited ]

If you wanted to cut small squares of parchment between the size of the patties and put one between each piece, you could freeze a roll of them in a zip lock.  Just be sure to press the air out.  Then, you could take out what you need.  

Bacon would have to be done in groups of slices.

@momtochloeEdited. Please excuse that I neglected to tell what to put between each slice.  Rough day yesterday!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't even bother to freeze meat anymore without my Food Saver vacuum sealer.

Meat is expensive, and there is no way I've found that keeps it from being freezer burned (not Lock and Lock, not zipper bags, not wrapping in something and put into something else) except for vacuum sealing.

I break our various meats down into one meal/recipe quantities, then vacuum seal it while raw (some people freeze it first, but that just begins the freezer burn in my opinion).