Honored Contributor

Have You Ever Use Canned Chicken Breast Meat?

I noticed that in Sams recently and wondered if it is any good for soups and things like that.  I have never used it although I used canned tuna and salmon a lot.

Any thoughts on it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Use Canned Chicken Breast Meat?

My husband has used it to make Chicken salad and it’s pretty darn tasty!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner I have used the Sams Club Chicken Breast in a pinch when it calls for chicken, we have never had a problem with it.  I also make a chicken Pasta Salad that I use the canned chicken in, and of course chicken salad sandwiches, I like to keep it on hand!

Respected Contributor

I buy Kirkland's brand from Costco and use it to make a good chicken salad.  It's very good.

Contributor

I keep some in the pantry.  I think it is fine for soup or a quick casserole.  I know people who use it for chicken salad. I wouldn't want to eat it plain. The texture is like canned tuna to me.  Guess they cook it in the can maybe.

Honored Contributor

I am going to be the naysayer here.  I tried when Costco first started carrying it and it reminded me of dog food.  I went back to buying a rotisserie chicken and using that.  

Regular Contributor

I used it for Waldorf salad.  It was very good.

Honored Contributor

Our cats love it.

Respected Contributor

I have used Swansons canned chicked for chicken salad.  I am very very fussy when it comes to meat and I was so afraid to try it.  Worried about any grizzle or such.  I've had great luck with this brand.  It's the only brand I tried

Respected Contributor

I have never had canned chicken breast........however !

When I was a kid, my Grandmother opened a big can and out slid a whole,

cooked chicken.....for some reason I started to gag and remember the experience 60 years later....