Trusted Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Use Canned Chicken Breast Meat?

I tried the whole chicken  in a can years ago and when that tiny chicken slid out it broke my heart.  Could never use it again.  But I'm definitely going to try the other. Anything to make cooking easier. 

Honored Contributor

I always have the Sam's canned chicken on hand. What I like is that the chicken is already cooked. If I needed a quick dinner, especially when I was working. I could make quessadillas or tacos in no time.

Valued Contributor

I have used it for many years. I have used it in a buffalo chicken dip recipe and always have people ask for the recipe. It is very convenient. I live alone, so a lot of the time, I don't want to buy a whole rotisserie chicken for a smaller recipe.

cookin

Esteemed Contributor

@sweetee2wrote:

I tried the whole chicken  in a can years ago and when that tiny chicken slid out it broke my heart.  Could never use it again.  But I'm definitely going to try the other. Anything to make cooking easier. 

That tiny chicken was just compressed.  While camping, we used those to make chicken and rice and it was delicious.

Fryers are only 6 weeks old!

Contributor

I use the canned chicken for those nights when I am dead tired and just want something to eat quickly.  I mix with a little mayo  and some garlic salt and make a chicken salad sandwich.  I have also used it when I make soup and it was great.  I like the Costco Kirkland brand better than Bumble Bee and Swanson since there is larger chunks of chicken and less juice.

I don't have a Costco card anymore, but I can buy the Kirkland canned chicken on Amazon.  I have also tried the canned chicken from Walmart (their own brand) which has a lemon pepper sauce and it is yummy too for chicken salad sandwiches that have a different flair!

I also will sometimes make mashed potatoes, heat up the canned chicken and top it with chicken or turkey gravy when I want a yummy warm dinner.  Easy and quick to make.

I didn't think I would care for the canned chicken either at the beginning. But once I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised.  Give it a try before you discount it.  You may find a use for it in your menus.

Honored Contributor

I have used the canned chicken from Trader Joes that was pretty good. Not salty or full of gelatin or nasty stuff. I made chicken salad sandwiches. Forgot about that item--maybe will buy some when I go back to TJ. 

Valued Contributor

I keep canned chicken on hand when I don't feel like cooking.  I've used it to make chicken crescents, shredded chicken and other recipes.  We like it and I am pretty picky.  I also can my own chicken when I can get a real good sale. I only can boneless skinless breasts and thighs.  

As much as I love chicken, seeing a whole one come out of a can might not be a good sight.

Honored Contributor

OK.  I bought and tried the chicken breast from Sams, and it made a fine chicken salad--I added a little mayo and some pickle relish and that was all. It had a good clean taste and shredded nicely.

I like it better than bought chicken salad at the deli because that always has too much mayo in it for me.

So thanks to all for the good reviews.  I think this will have a place in my pantry now for quick simple meals. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner The Walmart near my daughter's house in MD has Buffalo flavor canned chicken as well as (I think) BBQ! My grandson had a recipe he needed to make for his Family and Consumer Sciences class (6th grade). It was for hot Buffalo chicken dip. It called for the canned Buffalo chicken, and it was not bad. There is a slight wiff of that cat food smell when you open the can, but it isn't there when you eat the final dish.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never tried canned chicken.  What I like is the shredded/pulled rotisserie chicken at Costco sold in vacuum sealed bags.  You can find it in the open deli refrigerated cases.  Delicious!!