Honored Contributor

Re: Garbage Bowl

[ Edited ]

I would not spend alot for a garbage bowl! What I do works fine for me and if I did want a bowl, I would use a cheap plastic one since its only food scraps for the trash!Cat Very Happy

After reading articles online about garbage disposals Im very careful what I put in mine now! Was surprised by what you shouldnt put in.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Garbage Bowl

[ Edited ]

No I don't need one. I just open the cabinet pull out the trash can & use it while prepping.

I could not deal with a ziplock bag sitting in my sink with scraps in it.

Regular Contributor

I know this probably sounds nuts to most of you, but I live in the desert and with the 115 degree weather, I hate to put food scraps in the garbage can that I keep in my garage.  So I put whatever I can down the garbage disposal and the rest of the food scraps that can't go down the disposal (meat bones, onion skins, avocado skin, asparagus ends, etc.) I put in a ziplock bag and keep it in my freezer until garbage day.  I put ithe "frozen" garbage in the trash can right before I take the garbage out to the curb.  This avoids any smelly food waste sitting in my 120 degree garage trash can for up to a week awating the once a week garbage pickup. Luckily I have a chest freezer in the garage, so I have plenty of storage space for all my potentially smelly trash.  This works for me and I have suggested it to many of my friends here who laughed at first and are now doing this themselves.  If you live in a hot climate this will work for you.  Try it!!!!

Respected Contributor

I've enjoyed reading all the replies.  Some kind of funny for being "right way".  Different areas of the country, temps, bugs and critters, home layouts and food consumption all play into what works best for each person.

I do own the RR scrap bowl that has been wonderful for big jobs but seldom needed.  I'm on a septic system, can't use the useless sink disposal but have a couple times for something exremely nasty that lived too long in the refrigerator.  

For people who use a simple trash can, the bags that are scented to control odors work very well.  Mine is in a closed cabinet which I open easily by where I chop food and can pull it out to scrape largerr amounts directly into it.  Easy, no fuss, no odor eminating into the kitchen but then I don't waste much either.

We all do the best we can and sounds like we're happy with how we handle it..  

Honored Contributor

I do not have a "garbage bowl".  I put vegetable trimmings including celery tops,carrot peels, onion skins, etc. in a gallon plastic bag in the freezer to use (with a couple of Costco chicken carcasses) to make chicken stock.  

Under the sink I have a plastic bin with a lid that the city gave me for compost - i put egg shells and any vegetable trimmings that I do not want to use in.  I empty that into the yard waste/compost container outside.  

Respected Contributor

I have 2 of the RR garage bowls but I use them as mixing bowls and I think they are great. Good size when you are making stuffing or something that needs more room.