Honored Contributor

I use the disposal  for some scraps.  For some I have a cheap plastic container with  a lid that swings open.  Put scraps in there and take it to the main garbage can outside when full or most of the time once  a day.  Here we have a garbage can for yard waste and the scraps go in there for recycling into compost, etc.  We cannot put plastic bags in this can--food scraps and yard waste (lawn clippings, etc.) only.

Honored Contributor

I'd been cooking more than half my life by the time I heard of Rachel Ray and her garbage bowl, so I don't see the need to clutter my mind and small galley kitchen with useless stuff!   

Respected Contributor

I do a lot of cooking, and always clean as I go. And that includes throwing things (peelings, scraps, etc.) out.

There's no reason for me to put the "garbage" into a bowl which has to be emptied (then washed) when I can dispose of those things in the trash as I go along.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

I start using a “garbage bowl” when I saw it on the Rachel Ray show ... I empty it daily or more often as needed 👍

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs  A garbage bowl is another way to separate you from your money.  

We have a disposer that takes care of most of our kitchen waste.  What can't go in the disposer, goes in a nearby can.

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs I use basically the concept that you do only I use a plastic bag from a grocery/box store.  I don't keep a garbage can outside and only have my kitchen wastebasket so, depending on the day I'm cooking and the day my trash is picked up, I may put some of it in the freezer until the day before trash day.  Normally, I do all my stockpiling cooking on a Saturday and Sunday.  Trash is picked up on Monday so most of the time, it goes straight in the wastebasket.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Garbage Bowl? Please. Just use a bowl you already have for kitchen scraps. waste of money.  I use a grocery bag to collect peelings and scraps. Things like onion skins/ends go into a freezer bag to save for when I make stocks. Some bones also. What can't be used for compost I toss in the garbage. When we remodeled our kitchen, we took out the garbage disposal. Didn't use it when we had it, wouldn't use after the remodel so left it out.

Honored Contributor

Seems many are using extra plastic,that really is not needed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have a triangular shaped Rubbermaid thing that fits in the corner of the sink for prep garbage.  It has slots in it for any liquid to drain.  It gets dumped at every cleanup. I've been using it since long before Rachael Ray invented a garbage bowl.

They don't make it anymore and unless it cracks and is no longer useable I won't get rid of it for something new.

A small collander would do the same thing I suppose.

Honored Contributor

I keep a big saute pan sitting around and all veg scraps are put into it.  DH periodically dumps it into his garden.  Not exactly compost, but eventually it will do some good.  Animal protein type stuff I freeze in ziploc bags and it goes to the dump every couple weeks on trash and re-cycle trip.