Honored Contributor

The fried pickle tasted exactly as horrible as I thought it would. 

Ranch was no help!!!!!

I don't like fried green tomatoes either.  Too sour!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Had My First Fried Pickle!

@ECBG -

Haha! I know!

They sound like they might be ok especially cause so many are sold in the south but no, they are not.

I tried both and now I don't have to again.

I think different areas of the south make different things. 

Boiled peanuts-no!

My grandmother was from Tennessee and originally from texas.

When we ate grits, it was never with cheese or shrimp and grits-no.

Isn't it strange?

My grandmother made the best southern meals (with none of the what I call icky stuff) anyone would ever want to eat!

Course I hope I am not insulting anyone. If so, I'll make you a pot of cooked all day greens and the real way to make grits-butter, salt and pepper.

I think Virginia and WVA do it the same tooSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I love pickles with a passion but the thought of a fried pickle just doesn't interest me. We have several restaurants where I live that sells them and they seem pretty popular. 

I have to admit I have never tried grits. My mother-in-law would make them but I just always shied away from them.

But my West Virginia husband loved his pinto beans and cornbread and his collared greens. Not a fan of those either but for him I learned from his mother how to fix them. And lima beans 

As much as I love my sweets deep fried Twinkies is another no.

Honored Contributor

I first tried fried pickles about ten years ago while on vacation in Maine. I really enjoyed them.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

tried them much to sour for me...but I love onion straws with ranch dressing🙂

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ -

Maine! I never would have thought-interesting.

Maybe they are liked all over!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Done right with crunchy panko, deep fried with the right dipping sauce, fried pickles are great! A mix of sour cream and Duke's mayo, sriracha sprinkled in = YUM!!!

There's a restaurant just up the road from us who does fried pickles perfectly and oh so tasty!

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD -

You make it sound so good!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I fondly remember a fried pickle I had in a bar about (mumble, mumble) years ago.  It was breaded with some light tempura product.  I've never found another good one.  But just your title literally had my mouth watering.  Thinking of lemons does the same thing to me.  

Esteemed Contributor

I first had them in Florida about 15 years ago and I fell in love! I also love pickles!  Most of the restaurants at the beach have them on their menu and I've tried them a few other places.  They do vary from place to place and the quality of the ranch makes a difference too.  When I was down there last November, I didn't get any.  My favorite place was closed for a few weeks to spruce up and make some repairs. I like to get them as a special treat on vacay.

Here in the midwest, I rarely see them on a menu.  I thnk I have a recipe pinned on Pinterest for baked breaded pickles.  I may have to pull that up and try it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown