Respected Contributor

Re: Duke’s Mayo

[ Edited ]

History of Duke's Mayo, from Wikipedia.

Duke's Mayonnaise

The former Duke's Mayonnaise factory in Greenville, South Carolina. It is currently known as the Wyche Pavilion.[1]

Duke's Mayonnaise is a condiment created by Eugenia Duke in Greenville, South Carolina, in 1917.

While it is the third-largest mayonnaise brand in the United States (behind Hellmann's and Kraft), its popularity was at first largely limited to the South.

It is used in regional favorites such as tomato sandwiches, cole slaw, deviled eggs, pimento cheese, and potato salad.

Duke's Mayonnaise contains more egg yolks than other mayonnaise products and no added sugar

In 1929, the C.F. Sauer Company in Richmond, Virginia purchased the Duke's products, and Duke's Mayonnaise became the company's flagship product.[10]

In 2017, the South Carolina legislature recognized the centennial of Duke's.[11] Duke's Mayonnaise was available throughout the United States, as well as in New Zealand, Australia and the Middle East. In 2017, Sauer announced that it was also starting sales to Latin America.[10]

In 2019, Falfurrias Capital Partners acquired C.F. Sauer and the Duke's brand.[12] Also in 2019, Duke Foods went to court seeking a restraining order trying to "keep former executive Wyatt Howard from using the purloined paperwork to help a competitor." The paperwork referred to included "recipes, formulas, pricing information and other proprietary trade secrets [downloaded] to his personal email account when he was fired in May.

Eugenia Duke

Eugenia Thomas Slade Duke (October 1881, Columbus, Georgia-1968) created Duke's Mayonnaise in 1917, in Greenville, South Carolina.[14]

When Eugenia Duke was 18, she married Harry Cuthbert Duke in 1900 and moved to Greenville. She was active in working towards passage of the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution granting women the right to vote.[15]

After the sale of the company, Eugenia followed Martha to California and opened the Duchess Sandwich Company followed by the Duchess Catering Company

Respected Contributor

@grandma petes I have never tasted Duke's mayo to my knowledge.  My mother was a devout Hellman's user so I will try it when I need to refurbish my staples again.

Trusted Contributor

@Boomernichols 

My taste has changed so much recently and I find Best Foods to be so incredibly salty. Many times, when I use Best Foods in Tuna Salad or other dishes, I just can't get past the saltiness. I saw Duke's reviewed on YouTube and had the chance to purchase some....well, I'm hooked and this will be my go-to Mayo from now on.😊

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 

Thanks for that great info. I appreciate you sharing this.😊

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla 

I was a Best Foods fan for so many years, but I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find it to be incredibly salty. I saw so many reviews on YouTube that I thought I would give it a try....well, I'm hooked and this will be my go-to Mayo from now on.😊

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

I saw something on Pinterest about Duke's Mayo and several YouTube chefs/cooks tout how great it is....so, I bought a jar.....and.....drum roll please.....it's amazing!!!!

Lately I've found Best Foods to be incredibly salty...maybe it's just me, but I decided to try Duke's and I'm never looking back. It really is much better than any other Mayo I've tried.

Anyway....just my honest review.😊

I find it to be salty too.

Valued Contributor

NC here.You mean they make another mayo besides Duke's?

Get outa town!

Respected Contributor

@red&curly wrote:

NC here.You mean they make another mayo besides Duke's?

Get outa town!

@red&curly  LOL!!! I'm from NC too. It surely will be discussed if you use something else.Woman LOL

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Well smack my #$$ and call me Sally! My Jewel sells a bunch of Mayo brands! Dukes - regular and light, Sir Kensington's and McCormick's (like the spice brand). And more.

I'm so focused on grabbing the Hellman's. Next time I'll take a walk on the wild side and buy Duke's ($5)

McCormicks???

Honored Contributor

Are not Duke's and Hellman's the exact same thing?