Honored Contributor

Re: Duke’s Mayo

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Are not Duke's and Hellman's the exact same thing?

No, they aren’t.  Do a label comparison. Hellman’s has sugar, Duke’s does not. That matters to some people.  

Trusted Contributor

I grew up in the Midwest and we only ate Hellmans. Then I moved south and discovered Duke's. OMG what had I been missing????? Duke's forever!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie   I used to buy a brand of tea bags--Bromley--which ShopRite carried when I lived in Connecticut.

It was good and not as bitter and I liked it better than some of the other. 100-to-a-box brands such as Lipton, Red Rose, or Tetley.  Haven't found it in the supermarkets here in DC so. I have Tetley as my current reserve.

I prefer tea brewed from tea leaves but I do keep boxed on hand because sometimes guests actually prefer tea bags and my Significant Other who is a dedicated coffee drinker doesn't have the patience to fiddle with a tea strainer and tea pot ritual.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was raised on hellmans and would use nothing but.  I live in Virginia and always see Dukes in southern recipes. I bought a bottle this past week. OMG,why did I not try this sooner. It is fabulous. I made chicken cakes today. Similar to crab cakes,and the recipe also has a sauce included. I used Dukes and even my hubby noticed how good 

from now on it's Dukes for me!

Honored Contributor

History of Duke's

Also in 2019, Duke Foods went to court seeking a restraining order trying to "keep former executive Wyatt Howard from using the purloined paperwork to help a competitor." The paperwork referred to included "recipes, formulas, pricing information and other proprietary trade secrets [downloaded] to his personal email account when he was fired in May.

Does anyone know the outcome of the restraining order?

Respected Contributor

OK. EVERYBODY.  Those of you who have used BOTH Dukes AND Hellmans mayo

Could you Please state the Differances between the two?  NOT just that It's Great but WHY IS IT BETTER?  A Curious mind wants to know. This topic has come up several times and no one says WHY they like one better than the other when comparing the two.

Respected Contributor

@candys mine 

As posted on this thread in the beginning, Dukes is made with more egg yolks and no added sugar, unlike the other two top competing brands.  But those are not the only ingredient differences among top mayo brands (Hellmanns/Best Foods, Kraft, Dukes)

Check out labels of competing brands and decide which appeals to you without even tasting them. 

Eggs form the basis of all mayo, so maybe including more of them makes a difference.

Perhaps a creamier,  more concentrated texture appeals to some people and performs better in recipes.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1Thank you very much for replying. If I ever find Dukes around here I will compare ingredients ( and Taste!)  So far I'm a Hellmans fan. To me it's least sweet between Cains and Miracle Whip.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candys mine 

FYI, Miracle Whip is a salad dressing, not  true mayo.

That's all we had while I was growing up, and I'll never touch Miracle Whip again, 

Looking back on childhood, maybe mom used Miracle Whip because she had a sweet tooth and my sis apparently was and still is allergic to eggs  and avoids mayo (poor girl).

Also, Miracle Whip was probably one of those many new "exciting" things introduced  to housewives and home cooks back in the mid-1900s, such as SPAM and frozen TV dinners.

Found this easily on the internet:........

<<History. In 1933, Kraft developed Miracle Whip as a less expensive alternative to mayonnaise. Premiering at the Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago in 1933, Miracle Whip soon became a success as a condiment on fruits, vegetables, and salads. Its success was bolstered by Kraft mounting a significant advertising campaign....>>

Respected Contributor

The ingredients in Miracle Whip are mustard flour, water, soybean oil, paprika, high fructose corn syrup, eggs, vinegar, modified cornstarch, salt, natural flavor, dried garlic, the preservative potassium sorbate, and spice, according to Kraft Foods. It fits the standards of a kosher food prepared in adherence to Jewish customs.