Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Still Do Congealed Salads?

@mspatmac wrote:

@Sooner I remember Divinity Salad which you can still find the receipe for on line.  We called the 5 cup salad Ambrosia and it was really good. Wonder what future generations will think of the stuff we eat today.

@mspatmac That one is unreal good!!!!!😄

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe my understanding of "congealed salads" is wrong, but I think of jello in a mold with vegetables - like the awful Aspic salad. I'm 72, so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.....if so, please correct me. Many of us grew up with a sweet jello salad with perhaps some fruit and/or whipped cream and then Cool Whip after that was introduced, and that to me is not a congealed salad.

If a congealed salad is jello and veggies, then no, I don't make them and never really liked them. When I make jello, I don't put anything in it except for maybe frozen raspberries with the same flavor jello, or mandarin oranges with orange jello, or the wonderful strawberry pretzel dessert. I make jello quite a bit....I love it, especially with some yummy Redi Whip on top! Refreshing!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1,

Any solid salad using a box of jello is a congealed salad, regardless of what is added.