Regular Contributor

Re: Do You Still Do Congealed Salads?

I remember so many of the jello salads mentioned. One I didn't like was one that was at all the Bluebird(Camp Fire Girls) Father Daughter Banquets. Lemon jello with shredded carrots, crushed pineapple & pimento stuffed olives. Of course, good manners mandated that a generous serving was required; wouldn't want to make your friend feel badly because her mother sent that.

We also had individual molds.They were served on a iceberg lettuce "cup". The ones I had lived in my junk drawer for years. We donated them when we downsized a couple of years ago.

My kids were never fond of jello. They associated it with being sick. My mom made a Cherry Pie Jello salad using cherry jello, canned cherry pie filling & a small can of crushed pineapple. We had it at all family holiday meals in memory of her. Recently there has been lots leftover, so I didn't make it last Thanksgiving. Wouldn't you know, all 5 of our sons asked where it was!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG Just hearing the word congealed turns my stomach!  It takes me back to when I was a kid.  My dad used to eat Souse, that nasty looking congealed meat stuff!  BLECH!  

1200px-Sülze001.jpg

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz,

My Papaw was a big fan of souse, and no one in the family asked him to share!   He always took our hog heads when we butchered.   

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop Too funny!  We never wanted dad to share either!  He ate some weird stuff like pickled pigs feet, stinky cheeses, and then there was that jar of pickled fish in a weird white liquid.  Ugh!!! No thank you!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love CONGEALED salads....there's nothing gross about them!     (Unless you maybe have never had one a truly good one and I am not talking about just some jello with a little fruit thrown in.  To me that's just jello.) I have had tons around here...sadly not as often as we used to but they are light and refreshing and Yum Yum!    

Honored Contributor

We never really had them all that much.  My aunt used to make one with strawberries, strawberry Jello and sour cream.  It wasn't bad.

At Thanksgiving my mother used to make one with raspberry jello, whole canned cranberries, and chopped walnuts.  Again, not bad.

I don't think I'd ever have one that I'd write home about.

Honored Contributor

I have so many recipes for Jell-o salads. Never make any. I remember when they were considered "salads". When the church I belonged to (as a child would have a "salad tea"

Aunt Mary would always bring a Jell-o salad.

Interesting side note: the recipe for Perfection Salad was entered in a contest and the winner was from my home town. I think the prize was $100.00.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

Well, my original thought was no because I wasn't exactly sure what a congealed salad is.  I thought it might be the jello type salads but wasn't sure.  BTW, now that I know, the answer is still NO as I was never a fan of them.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Traditions @KathT remember that for your next family meal.

Respected Contributor

My mom disliked Jello products; I'm with her.