Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Still Do Congealed Salads?

No, I don't. Not even sure I have ever made one to be honest.

Honored Contributor

Oh they look and sound gross.  I have never eaten any in my lifetime and don't  intend to.

I know where gelatin comes from...ewwww.

Honored Contributor

Good grief people.  It's just jello and fruit mostly.  You won't die or throw up or anything terrible.  

I like the one with lime jello, cottage cheese and walnuts (skip the pineapple), and have had some other ones I've liked--mostly red ones with fruit, preferably not pineapple and not veggies especially carrots!

Actually they can be good especially on a hot summer day.  Maybe I'll make one--have to get some jello!

I spend money on good food, love good food, and think it's not something to skimp on, and IS something to try new things when you find them.

However, I am not a food snob and it makes me cross when I see people making fun of things we ate in the 1950's and 60's.  It's what we had, and new things we hadn't had before, and we had no access to the world market then.  

So stop smirking and try some of it!  A lot of it was good!  Like 5 cup salad!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner I remember Divinity Salad which you can still find the receipe for on line.  We called the 5 cup salad Ambrosia and it was really good. Wonder what future generations will think of the stuff we eat today.

Respected Contributor

I have never served or eaten one.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@ECBG,

In my family, this is called Aunt J's Jell-O Salad, but am sure it has another name.

1 large lime jello

1 large lemon jello

1 block cream cheese

1/2 cup mayo

1 small crushed pineapple, drained

3 bananas, mashed

diced celery and nuts optional

Dissolve mayo and cream cheese in 1 cup boiling water.   Dissolve jello's and marshmallows in 1 2/3 cup boiling water.   Cool, combine with other ingredients and pour into jello mold.   

I tweak this recipe for a 9x13 pan, and usually use 2 boxes of the same color jello; always green for Christmas, pink or yellow for Easter, and orange for Thanksgiving.   

Honored Contributor

Congealed? I'd rather just say Jello! Yes, I have two favorites.

Seafoam salad which contains, lime Jello, pears, cream cheese and whipped topping.

Fluffy Mandarin salad containing orange Jello, instant vanilla pudding, Mandarin oranges and whipped topping.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I was never a fan and never made one myself.

I think my mom made some when we were growing up. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Sooner I remember Divinity Salad which you can still find the receipe for on line.  We called the 5 cup salad Ambrosia and it was really good. Wonder what future generations will think of the stuff we eat today.

@mspatmac They will have found that chocolate and Eagle Brand Milk are the secrets to a long life.  Kale is bad for your intestinal tract, and blueberries will only be fed to birds!  Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I remember them from my childhood. I think they've really fallen out of favor.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004