Honored Contributor

Re: Boning Knives And Their Use Today

I use mine to cut meat off of bones.  

Esteemed Contributor

Never really thought about it, most all of my family has boning knives.  Very handy tools.

Last Thanksgiving my 13 year old grandson was deemed ready to tackle the turkey.  My SIL was the teacher, so much for sandwiches and stock, and many many little scraps for a certain furry baby.  Good training.

Esteemed Contributor

We use our boning knives often....especially my husband and two sons. They go fishing for salmon and halibut and do their own cleaning/gutting/cutting and wrapping. I also use a boning knife a lot because I prefer to buy meat that is bone-in. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Marp , I never learned how to do all that stuff.

@Icegoddess,  whenever I would say that or simply I don't know how my dad would always say "you aren't going to learn any younger".

Try.  Just keep in mind that you are not prepping food for a restaurant so if it turns out ugly it will still cook and taste good.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess,  whenever I would say that or simply I don't know how my dad would always say "you aren't going to learn any younger".

Try.  Just keep in mind that you are not prepping food for a restaurant so if it turns out ugly it will still cook and taste good.

@Marp if I really wanted to I would try.  I just didn't grow up learning domestic skills.  I had to cook for Dad when Mother was in the hospital once and I don't remember what all I cooked, but he said I made the best mashed potatoes. 

I kinda learned how to remove the silverskin from pork tenderloins from watching Gordon Ramsey demonstrating how to filet a fish.

I mostly have a handful of stuff I rotate through and most don't require any special knife skills.  

What I really wish I had learned growing up was basic carpentry skills.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG    I still debone meat--especially chicken so I still have that knife being used for its originnal  purpose.

But, as someone else has already mentioned I  often buy whole chicken and break down myself since bone-in meat does have more flavor. 

For example, when I make Chicken Cacciatore I cut up a whole chicken, brown it, leave it on the bone and put in  my seasoned tomato sauce and then strain out the bones at the end of long simmering on the stovetop.

I prefer standing bone in beef rib roast over tenderloin and bone in beef steaks, or leg of lamb, or bone in loin lamb or pork chops.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't even know I had one, but I use it for all sorts of things.

I tend to de-bone, when I do de-bone, after the bird is cooked, so the knife is less important than the set of fingers.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Marp if I really wanted to I would try.  I just didn't grow up learning domestic skills.  I had to cook for Dad when Mother was in the hospital once and I don't remember what all I cooked, but he said I made the best mashed potatoes. 

I kinda learned how to remove the silverskin from pork tenderloins from watching Gordon Ramsey demonstrating how to filet a fish.

I mostly have a handful of stuff I rotate through and most don't require any special knife skills.  

What I really wish I had learned growing up was basic carpentry skills.

@Icegoddess 

Off topic...sort of...but I learned carpentry skills ... as well as how to use a boning knife...from various boyfriends (way back when). Very handy to know how to do carpentry stuff. DH would ask...where did you learn to do that? Oh, you know, around. Lol.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 Sounds like you had more and better boyfriends than I did.  One thing I can do is a beautiful caulk job.  

Honored Contributor

It may not be the appropriate knife for the job, but I use mine for slicing raw chicken breasts into cubes