Respected Contributor

Re: Yikes! ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ

@homedecor1

We have a weekend place up the mountains and live on a golf course there.  We learned a while ago that there was bear den close by.

Not only has the mother bear walked her two newborns by our back yard,  but we watched as the babies played and rough housed with each other.

One extremely hot August, the golfers on a hole nearby were dumbfounded as they watched a large bear walk out from the woods, take a cooling dip in the water beside them, and then get out and walk back into the woods without bothering them.

...may be some should have shouted โ€œ Fore โ€œ or just taken a picture !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

You gotta love Florida!  They have the best wildlife stories.

New Mexicoโ˜€๏ธLand Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't think so.  Me and gators don't mix.  My parents had a condo in florida with ponds in the complex.  Gators were seen now and then.  I was glad their condo was on the second floor.

Esteemed Contributor

Holy smokes!  And to think I was upset because I had a mouse in my house.  

Do you have a dog @homedecor1?  I can't imagine having to worry every time my dog went outside.  Scary!

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1

I have a kitty and he's a inside cat but I do let him hang out (with supervision) on my screened lanai.  We've had a razor snake out there onetime years ago๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ so even I look around before I go out there & I never do any outside work.

I'm a big fraidy cat!!!

Honored Contributor

@jlkz

OMG even these golfers just continued to play ... in fact you can see the one sitting in the cart looking like "let's go!"

Your story reminds me of a time I stayed up in the mountains in my friends cabin.  All day they talked about the bears & how cautious you had to be.  I was very aware of my surroundings they had me freaking out...

The cabin had a loft sleeping area.  I went up to get ready for bed I just went to turn light on & let out a scream!  They came running I was literally frozen from fear -- there was a big black bear in the room -- they were laughing so hard as I was fainting ...it was a stuffed bear about 7' tall sitting in the corner her husband shot!  But, my mind was so focused on the bear fear I never realized it was fake and I had never been to their cabin before!

We still laugh about it ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Respected Contributor

Oh my ! 

We just have sweet little burros and road runners on our golf course . ๐ŸŒต๐Ÿด๐ŸŒต

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

103DFAF8-C17C-4A17-8EE2-61D463158322.jpegMy spouse was out back trimming some bushes and doing the windows -- couple of golfers went by & yelled "hey buddy he's coming your way!"

He turned around and there he was laying in the bunker behind our house๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ.  I took videos (don't know how to post) but here's a pic I took!  I was afraid to get closer...

yikes!!!

@homedecor1  I assume you live in Florida, could never live where giant reptiles live, lol, I still jump and yelp when a lizard crosses my path, lol.

Honored Contributor

I traveled many times with my Mom to Hilton Head SC. I was always fascinated with the gators and always wanted to get even closer.  It upset my Mother so I didn't.

I know it's definitely not a good idea to get close, a woman was killed by one recently in Hilton Head. She was just out walking her dog and the alligator got her. They have lots of lagoons there in the developments and the gators can move fast out of them.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I traveled many times with my Mom to Hilton Head SC. I was always fascinated with the gators and always wanted to get even closer.  It upset my Mother so I didn't.

I know it's definitely not a good idea to get close, a woman was killed by one recently in Hilton Head. She was just out walking her dog and the alligator got her. They have lots of lagoons there in the developments and the gators can move fast out of them.

@Greeneyedlady21  I don't understand why people, knowing about gator kills, still walk near or go into the water, and let their kids and pets into the water or close to the edge, where many have met their demise.  Just the thought of a child being grabbed by one, is horrific!