Valued Contributor

Shopping for a new matress and I would like to know if anyone has a foam matress? Are they better than the spring matress? It''s been years since I boutght a new matress and I can't get over all the different kinds they have new. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

My sister bought a bobopedic mattress for my mother.  I find it too soft.  I also had a bear of a time flipping it.  I hate mattress shopping.  I guess write a list of what you want in a new mattress and hopefully the sales person can narrow the selection.

Honored Contributor

DON'T get the Serta....Oh! I know people will come on saying, "I have Serta and it's marvelous and bla bla".  I only know from MY experience and a few other's I've spoken to about their Serta.

I bought my Serta from QVC about 3 years ago now.  So within 2 months the side of the the mattress had broken down and you couldn't sit on it any longer.

I called QVC and (true to their word) they exchanged the mattress.

Then maybe less than 1 year later I noticed it seemed to be broken again.  

Long story short, it's been around 3 years (if that) and the mattress is a real mess.  It's pillow top.  Under the cover (ticking, maybe it's called) it's all bunched up!  It's terrible trying to sleep on it.

Then I can't even sit on the edge of the bed because it's broken (the mattress).  When I get on it to sleep, I roll off of the bed!  Yes, I've fallen on the floor more times than I can count!

Climbing on the bed is like trying to climb a mountain.  The middle and side I don't sleep on is very high...so I get in the bed and scooch (sp) to the middle of the bed in order to not be sleeping on bunches of fibre.

Now tell me to turn the bed (you can't flip a pillow top).  I've done that more times than I can count.  It's Queen and it's very hard, but I do it myself.

Within less than a week that side (that I've changed to) is EXACTLY like the one I had before.  

In other words, the entire mattress is broken.  It's a mess.  It was SUPPOSED to be their Top of the Line Serta mattress that QVC sells!

I've spoken to several people I know and they've had similar problems.  My physical therapist said she went through the same thing (Serta mattress) with her mattress and the one she'd bought her parents.

She ended up getting herself a sleep number bed and had to get a sleep number bed for her parents.  

She managed to get a little money back from the Serta people for the return of her parent's mattress.  However HER mattress had a few stains due to having new baby in bed without mattress cover.  They wouldn't give her any kind of refund for her mattress even though it should have been covered by warranty.

My mattress is supposed to be covered by warranty (up to 10 years).  I haven't even bothered because I have one or two tiny stains on it (soda).  The main reason is because I don't want anything to do with getting another Serta bed.

I just yesterday bought a new top of the line Sleep number bed.  It was 1/2 price.  I've been looking at it for about 2 months now and decided since it was 1/2 price to go with a friend and buy it.

I wish I didn't have to spend that much money on a mattress but I have severe back and neck problems so it's worth it.....I guess and hope!

I've had friends come and I've shown them this terrible mattress!  They're like, "How do you sleep on this thing"?

I've found often people have problems but they don't complain.  Just because some people haven't complained about these mattresses sure doesn't mean they haven't had problems with them.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I recently bought Casper mattresses and we love ours. I would wake up with low back and shoulder pain every morning with my traditional spring mattress, not any more. My dentist who is a health nut bought one too and he loves it. Casper has a medium/firm feel so I think that's why it works for the masses.

Esteemed Contributor

Try not to be disrespectful to poster but.....bed edge really weren't intended to be sat on for long repeated periods of time.  That's what chairs are for.

My 4 year old Serta still great......................

Respected Contributor

I think for our next bed, we am going to go with Casper. My husband has looked into them already and liked what he has read. Not needed right now though.

-Texas Hill Country-
Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

DON'T get the Serta....Oh! I know people will come on saying, "I have Serta and it's marvelous and bla bla".  I only know from MY experience and a few other's I've spoken to about their Serta.

I bought my Serta from QVC about 3 years ago now.  So within 2 months the side of the the mattress had broken down and you couldn't sit on it any longer.

I called QVC and (true to their word) they exchanged the mattress.

Then maybe less than 1 year later I noticed it seemed to be broken again.  

Long story short, it's been around 3 years (if that) and the mattress is a real mess.  It's pillow top.  Under the cover (ticking, maybe it's called) it's all bunched up!  It's terrible trying to sleep on it.

Then I can't even sit on the edge of the bed because it's broken (the mattress).  When I get on it to sleep, I roll off of the bed!  Yes, I've fallen on the floor more times than I can count!

Climbing on the bed is like trying to climb a mountain.  The middle and side I don't sleep on is very high...so I get in the bed and scooch (sp) to the middle of the bed in order to not be sleeping on bunches of fibre.

Now tell me to turn the bed (you can't flip a pillow top).  I've done that more times than I can count.  It's Queen and it's very hard, but I do it myself.

Within less than a week that side (that I've changed to) is EXACTLY like the one I had before.  

In other words, the entire mattress is broken.  It's a mess.  It was SUPPOSED to be their Top of the Line Serta mattress that QVC sells!

I've spoken to several people I know and they've had similar problems.  My physical therapist said she went through the same thing (Serta mattress) with her mattress and the one she'd bought her parents.

She ended up getting herself a sleep number bed and had to get a sleep number bed for her parents.  

She managed to get a little money back from the Serta people for the return of her parent's mattress.  However HER mattress had a few stains due to having new baby in bed without mattress cover.  They wouldn't give her any kind of refund for her mattress even though it should have been covered by warranty.

My mattress is supposed to be covered by warranty (up to 10 years).  I haven't even bothered because I have one or two tiny stains on it (soda).  The main reason is because I don't want anything to do with getting another Serta bed.

I just yesterday bought a new top of the line Sleep number bed.  It was 1/2 price.  I've been looking at it for about 2 months now and decided since it was 1/2 price to go with a friend and buy it.

I wish I didn't have to spend that much money on a mattress but I have severe back and neck problems so it's worth it.....I guess and hope!

I've had friends come and I've shown them this terrible mattress!  They're like, "How do you sleep on this thing"?

I've found often people have problems but they don't complain.  Just because some people haven't complained about these mattresses sure doesn't mean they haven't had problems with them.

I also had a bad experience with my Serta. I'm not sure how long I've had it. No more than 5 years I think. I don't know if I sent in the warranty card so I didn't  complain to anyone. I get backaches because it sags in the middle. The mattress manufacturers were pretty schrewd to come out  with the pillowtop so you can't  turn it over.

Honored Contributor

I have a two year old Serta mattress that I bought from The Bed Store.  It's their top of the line hybrid mattress, which is foam on top and inner springs on the bottom.  It has held up very well, and I'm happy with it.  They gave me a water proof mattress cover with the mattress, because the warranty won't cover it if there's a stain on the mattress.

I would recommend not buying from a shopping channel.  I've heard numerous complaints about the quality of the mattresses sold on shopping channels.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@hovis wrote:

Shopping for a new matress and I would like to know if anyone has a foam matress? Are they better than the spring matress? It''s been years since I boutght a new matress and I can't get over all the different kinds they have new. Thanks.

We have a hybrid mattress - combo of memory foam and springs.  We love it. It's two years old but you'd never know it.  It's supportive yet so much more comfy than the mattress we replaced.  Ours is a Classic Brands 14" Gramercy Hybrid from Wayfair.  I settled on that one after doing a lot of research.  We didn't want to spend thousands again like we had in the past and this mattress has to be one of our best purchases ever.  We even bought the same mattress for a couple of our kids and their spouses, and they love it too.  I would encourage you to look it up on Wayfair and read all the reviews, it's very highly rated.

Valued Contributor

I have always wondered and been concerned about a pillow top for reasons stated by the other posters.   Especially the ones that look all poofy and floppy and "loose" on top.  That is one reason I chose a Euro-top when I purchased a mattress.  I thought it looked more battened down and tight to the rest of the mattress and coils underneath.  So far, after 2.5 years, my eurotop is comfy and supportive.  I don't notice any problems with the foam layers bunching up underneath....yet.   My edges are still supportive too, but I make a conscious effort not to linger sitting on the very edges of my bed very long so that may be why.  My eurotop is a Serta btw bought here at QVC.