Respected Contributor

I much prefer open concept. I've never lived in a home that wasn't but I remember visiting my grandparents, who had a closed kitchen. Anyone in there doing the cooking was closed off from the rest of the family, which I don't like. I think it's isolating. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Open concept or not

[ Edited ]

I do not. 

That said, I have come to find that people define "open concept" in many ways as do builders so....this is my definition of it:

I don't want to see the kitchen from any room in the house OTHER than the breakfast room/area. I DO want to see it in a limited capacity from the dining room as it needs to be off of it it; a true dining room is a must. I prefer a quiet living room so that if you want to get away from the crowd you can. A huge, open family room going into a sun room is great. One giant open room with stations acting as "rooms" is not (to me).

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday  I don't really care for it.  Number 1, don't you dare turn the dishwasher on early when you are watching tv (dishwasher is loud), 2, everyone can view the mess when you are cooking.   Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a open concept home and there are pluses and minuses. For one thing noise travels a lot. My DH can be on the phone in the laundry area and I'll clearly hear both him and the person he's talking to at the other end of the home in the living room. Of course there is the factor that you can clearly see right into the kitchen after you've cooked a big meal and made it messy. It is nice and light and airy feeling even though we live in a villa, so there are only windows on one side. Our house is 1500 sq ft but feels much larger because it is open.

Since open concept seems to be all they are building these days , if you are looking for a new build home it will most likely be open concept unless you get an architect to design you a custom home.

There are many different ways they design open concept. What I appreciate about ours is we have 2 half walls - one between the kitchen and the hall and one between the foyer and the living/dining area. It gives you a sense of separation but at the same time you can see right into the other area over the top of the walls.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@ccassaday  I don't really care for it.  Number 1, don't you dare turn the dishwasher on early when you are watching tv (dishwasher is loud), 2, everyone can view the mess when you are cooking.   Cat Tongue

Our dishwasher is so quiet you dont hear it running at all. Granted its a brand new one though.

Honored Contributor
If I had a separate formal dining room I would have to change it to a different use. Would never use it and it would be a waste of space.
Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
If I had a separate formal dining room I would have to change it to a different use. Would never use it and it would be a waste of space.

Mine has become my "studio".  I love my hideaway.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

While it wouldn't be a deal breaker when purchasing a home, I'm not an open concept fan if it involves seeing into the kitchen from the foyer.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

While it wouldn't be a deal breaker when purchasing a home, I'm not an open concept fan if it involves seeing into the kitchen from the foyer.

Thats one thing thats nice about our open concept house. You cant see thr kirchdn or great room from thr foyer. You have to walk in and doen the foyer a little before you see everything.

Esteemed Contributor

I love it. I don't have many visitors but we do during the Holidays and it's great that everyone is essentially together, even those in the kitchen can join in on the conversation.