Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

I just saw this after I posted about open concept!! Oops  Smiley Happy I do not like Open Concept and like separate spaces. Not sure why the open concept is such a great thing now days.

It's just a trend like all trends - designers have to keep coming up with something new all the time so they can keep selling products. Some people just look at new trends , shake their head and say to themself " How ridiculous is that" but there is a portion of the population who HAVE TO have every newest fad that's out and they just buy & buy. They just live to have people come into their house and gasp and say how gorgeous it is. IMO - this has become much more prevalent since HGTV as they really push the trends - emphasizing them on the shows where homes are remodeled.

It is not a trend.  Open space lofts have been around for decades.  Everything you dislike is not a trend.

Respected Contributor

We have a "newer built" home so of course it is open concept.  People love the look of it and we love our home but there are downsides as well.

2 of the biggest:

Smells- I cook everyday, and the smells from the kitchen travel EVERYWHERE even up stairs and the stair-case is not near the kitchen and this is NOT a small house.

Sound- there is only the 2 of us here but if one person wants to talk on the phone it can be difficult for the other to watch TV.  Having HW floors and very high ceilings only make the problem worse.  Thankfully it is a large home so you can move to the other side or upstairs, but without this option it could be a problem.

Valued Contributor

When we downsized a couple years ago it was important to me to find a house that was NOT open concept.  I told DH I had no intention of living the rest of my life in one room! 

The home we purchased is an older home single story with huge eat in kitchen and archways into the living room.  Perfect for our needs.  Truth be known, we haven't sat at the table since we moved in here as we found we love to just sit at the island and eat or out in the porch at the table instead.

Honored Contributor

Just think how much money builders save by not putting up all those interior walls.However, the home is no cheaper.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

I just saw this after I posted about open concept!! Oops  Smiley Happy I do not like Open Concept and like separate spaces. Not sure why the open concept is such a great thing now days.

It's just a trend like all trends - designers have to keep coming up with something new all the time so they can keep selling products. Some people just look at new trends , shake their head and say to themself " How ridiculous is that" but there is a portion of the population who HAVE TO have every newest fad that's out and they just buy & buy. They just live to have people come into their house and gasp and say how gorgeous it is. IMO - this has become much more prevalent since HGTV as they really push the trends - emphasizing them on the shows where homes are remodeled.

It is not a trend.  Open space lofts have been around for decades.  Everything you dislike is not a trend.

Lofts are not the same as open concept homes where only the private spaces like bedrooms and bathrooms have walls. Totally different concept.

And if you'd have been reading this thread you'd know I live in an open concept home and I like it a lot, however, that doesn't change why every new house being built now is open concept, and that is because it is the current trend.

Respected Contributor

To a point it is fine, too open would not work for me at all.

I do like open spaces, but with at least some wall separation to define each space.

I am looking at the wall right now between my kitchen and living room imagining it is not there, nope, I like just looking at the table side of  the room. My kitchen is one large space - kitchen and dining. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

Lofts are not the same as open concept homes where only the private spaces like bedrooms and bathrooms have walls. Totally different concept.

And if you'd have been reading this thread you'd know I live in an open concept home and I like it a lot, however, that doesn't change why every new house being built now is open concept, and that is because it is the current trend.

1. "Loft concept" and "open concept" are basically the same thing in the home design field.

2. They are being built because people like them;  people don't like them because they are being built.

3. No one buys things so their company will gush all over it. 

4. And not every home being built has an open concept.  Certain architectual styles do not allow for it.

5. Hyperbole seems to be your forte.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Just think how much money builders save by not putting up all those interior walls.However, the home is no cheaper.

No one feature dictates the price of a home. 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

1. "Loft concept" and "open concept" are basically the same thing in the home design field.

2. They are being built because people like them;  people don't like them because they are being built.

4. And not every home being built has an open concept.  Certain architectual styles do not allow for it.

A loft is a room or a balcony -the rest of the rooms are not necessarily open. People "like " open concept because they are being told they do.Just like they think they like ruffled bell sleeves or skinny pants or LOGO layered up tops.Many , many people buy things so others will gush all over it. Yes, there are many architectural styles that aren't open concept - go to any builder today and tell him you don't want open concept ... he'll have to dig into the very oldest plan in the back of his cabinet to find one that's not. THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE BUILDING NOW. It's the TREND.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

A loft is a room or a balcony -the rest of the rooms are not necessarily open. People "like " open concept because they are being told they do.Just like they think they like ruffled bell sleeves or skinny pants or LOGO layered up tops.Many , many people buy things so others will gush all over it. Yes, there are many architectural styles that aren't open concept - go to any builder today and tell him you don't want open concept ... he'll have to dig into the very oldest plan in the back of his cabinet to find one that's not. THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE BUILDING NOW. It's the TREND.

ORIGINALLY "loft style" referred to a balcony or open upper floor bedroom.  These days it refers also to a large open living space.

The rest of your post just rambles excuses for your inability to let go of your view.