Super Contributor

The open concept homes that I have been in are loud and drafty for whatever reason. Even with a fire going in the fireplace, it is still cold. I like privacy and I feel more safe or comforted, I guess, with interior walls. 

Respected Contributor

The people that live in the house next door to us took out all the interior walls in the main living area and their beautiful floor to ceiling fireplace. Now, they have a huge (and I mean big) open area that is totally open so you can see everything.

It has an echo and I don't think they are happy with it. When we visited, a week or so ago, it was hard to find a spot to get comfortable in and the kitchen was totally in view and messy after dinner. Not for me.

They aren't saying much but I wouldn't either.......after spending a fortune on this remodel.

Honored Contributor

You can never say never about a house!  it is a total and unique package just as each of us are and will appeal to us to not for a thousand different reasons.  

The view?  The neighbors?  The location?  The neighborhood and the lawn?

In addition to that, the feel of the house and the way it will live, which will appeal to each of us for a thousand different reasons.  Both of our last two houses are very different, but both have been unique houses with something that spoke to us the minute we walked in. Neither have been what we thought we would buy.  Twenty years in one, three so far in this one.  

You just can't say exactly what will capture your heart--in a home or the person to live in it with you!!!  

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

You can never say never about a house!  it is a total and unique package just as each of us are and will appeal to us to not for a thousand different reasons.  

In addition to that, the feel of the house and the way it will live, which will appeal to each of us for a thousand different reasons.  Both of our last two houses are very different, but both have been unique houses with something that spoke to us the minute we walked in. Neither have been what we thought we would buy.  Twenty years in one, three so far in this one.  

You just can't say exactly what will capture your heart--in a home or the person to live in it with you!!!  

I agree with all you've said...It has been the same with us...18 years in the last home and 3 in this one...both completely different and in different locations/areas...and both spoke to us....one with defined living spaces and one with open concept...doesn't really matter as long as you are lucky enough to have a home to call home.....it's what you make of it that counts.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I agree completely!  Sometimes you love something you originally thought you'd hate.

Trusted Contributor

@ccassaday  I like the way open concept looks. However, not for my family. God knows, we need some seperation at times.

Contributor

Yes! Open concept homes are wonderful. I currently live in an open concept home and love the space it has and how it makes the rooms feel more airy and welcoming. Whether the home is large or small, an open concept design will add more room to the home. I found this great article from HGTV and it explains the pros and cons of an open concept home - https://www.hgtv.com/design/rooms/living-and-dining-rooms/open-concept--the-pros-and-cons-pictures Hope it helps!

Respected Contributor

Re: Open concept or not

[ Edited ]

I really don't like the open floor plan concept.  I like a floor plan that flows with easy access to public rooms but not visible as one huge area.  Give me some interior walls.  I really don't like a floor plan where all the rooms are open to the kitchen.  When I'm cooking, the kitchen is usually a mess.  Our kitchen is open to the formal dining room and family room and I really do not like it at all.

Honored Contributor

Cooking in an open concept kitchen has forced me to learn to clean up as I go along with my cooking.I can keep the kitchen fairly tidy with a little extra effort. 

Trusted Contributor

For the most part I don’t like open concept.  Too many years in an apartment with Kitchen, dining “area” and living “area” together.

All the kitchen smells permeating. 

Maybe it would be okay to have the option of having rooms connect with pocket doors.  Just so it isn’t all open all the time.

visited a historical home in Alabama years ago and loved how 2 or even 3 rooms could be made into one large room. (I think they connected the parlor, music room, and dining room) 

I could see a kitchen and family room connected with pocket doors; or perhaps a dining room with a parlor. Doubt I will have a music room anytime soon!