Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe, I never used it in my first home. It was a huge dining room but we used maybe 3 times a year. 

Super Contributor

I think it’s so interesting how we all have such different opinions on this.  In my opinion, the more open, the better.  We built our house 23 years ago and, although open concept wasn’t a “thing” then, our house plan did call for a kitchen open to the living room.  Although the space isn’t huge, I love the open feeling.  We also have very high ceilings, so that adds to the airy feeling.  The dining room is separate, but right off the kitchen.  If I could, I’d open the whole thing.  I’d love one really big room which functions as kitchen/living room/dining room.  We host big groups fairly frequently, and, in my opinion, there’s nothing like having one large area for people to socialize.  I also love the fact that large spaces seem much more airy.  Contrary to some other opinions, I think that it is quite easy to define a big space with furniture, and so I don’t think it needs to feel like a warehouse.

To each his or her own.  I think it’s a good thing we have different opinions.  It’d be boring if we all liked the same thing.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

While it wouldn't be a deal breaker when purchasing a home, I'm not an open concept fan if it involves seeing into the kitchen from the foyer.

Thats one thing thats nice about our open concept house. You cant see thr kirchdn or great room from thr foyer. You have to walk in and doen the foyer a little before you see everything.

Mine too. The foyer is in the center of the house and the kitchen is in the front. From the foyer you can see some upper cabinets but not the entire room.

Honored Contributor

Since I've had both - in Pa our house had defined rooms and now our Fl home is open concept. If I were to choose I'd say I prefer open.

Honored Contributor

I have loved the open concept since before it became popular.

Respected Contributor

I like that our family/living room is open to our kitchen, but I am thankful that our dining room is separate.  I think it is personal taste and how the spaces will be used.

Honored Contributor

Count me in as a "not" vote.  In my dream world, I have a large, eat-in kitchen with a door. However, in my real world, I have a tiny kitchen that opens to the dining area and living room.  I guess the open concept works well in my situation because it makes the area seem bigger, but it's not what I'd choose if I were designing a home.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

I prefer open concept.  Closed off rooms make me feel claustrophobic

Honored Contributor

I just saw this after I posted about open concept!! Oops  Smiley Happy I do not like Open Concept and like separate spaces. Not sure why the open concept is such a great thing now days.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I just saw this after I posted about open concept!! Oops  Smiley Happy I do not like Open Concept and like separate spaces. Not sure why the open concept is such a great thing now days.

It's just a trend like all trends - designers have to keep coming up with something new all the time so they can keep selling products. Some people just look at new trends , shake their head and say to themself " How ridiculous is that" but there is a portion of the population who HAVE TO have every newest fad that's out and they just buy & buy. They just live to have people come into their house and gasp and say how gorgeous it is. IMO - this has become much more prevalent since HGTV as they really push the trends - emphasizing them on the shows where homes are remodeled.