Esteemed Contributor
So we have a neighbor whos house has been on the market about 12 weeks. Some of the feedbsck is it isnt open concept. My aunt is renivating and making her house open concept between kitchen and living room.

Do you like open or not?
Esteemed Contributor

It’s very popular, but I personally hate it! I would never want my kitchen completely opened up to my family room. It’s a trend that will eventually pass. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I love the open concept! 

Honored Contributor
I don’t understand why it’s s dealbreaker either way. I can do either one. Not an issue.
Honored Contributor

We have it and we love it!  We do have a formal living room and a dining room, and we do use both of them quite a bit.  But the family room, kitchen and another small dining room are without a lot of walls and we love it!

Older houses with small rooms without views to other parts of the house are a hard sell now.  People are looking to knock out walls and live with more floor space.  And I must say that is very nice to have the "elbow" and walking around room!   And higher ceilings go along with that design, and that is nice too.

Trusted Contributor

I don't like full open concept....it makes the house look like a furniture warehouse.  I don't mind a kitchen that opens into a family room or hearth room.  And, I may be old fashioned, but I like a formal dining room.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I don't like sitting in the living or family room and having to stare into the kitchen.  A little open is okay but not completely open.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't like a whole house that's open concept... I can see a kitchen-eating-sitting area combination, but I still like walls and specific rooms, too... I am, however, fully tired of hearing the open concept/granite/stainless steel mantra...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I have an older home w/o open concept but we’re not putting out the money to do a remodel.  We just do changes for us like painting walls, trim, new doors, and then new counter top and back splash (next year).

Honored Contributor

Re: Open concept or not

[ Edited ]

I never heard of open concept until I moved to the midwest.  At the time, you couldn't buy new construction without it being open concept.  My kitchen and eating area are one big room.  I have three quarters of a wall separating the living room.  The part that was hard to get used to was once someone takes a step in the house, they can see everything in all three rooms.  Ah and the open staircase to the cellar.  I'm used to it now and would do it again.