Honored Contributor

Open concept for me is a no. Oh, and everyone who visits comments how nice it is.

Trusted Contributor

I like both open concept and non-open concept homes. 

When we were looking for our new home 2 years ago, I saw both kinds of homes and they both appealed to me.  If it's done well, an open-concept home can be beautiful. 

We chose one that was not.  There was no particular reason why we didn't go with the open-concept, it's just that this one was "the one."  I think both are fine -- You have to go with what makes you happy.

Valued Contributor

DH and I are currently searching for a new home. We’re in a two story, and want to get into a one story before getting older. We are so frustrated! We have been looking at houses for three months, and every single house we have seen is open concept, which we both dislike tremendously. We have a dog and three cats, and like to have a way of keeping them contained to two or three rooms, which is impossible with open floor plans. So, it’s a big NOT from me.

Contributor

We moved to another state and wanted a newer home.  Every home we looked at was open concept, most older homes were not.  Since we wanted a newer place with single floor living, I compromised and we purchased a brand new home with an open concept. I really don't like it at all!

Esteemed Contributor

I guess what I see, is that either way can work (or some in between).  It just isn't a deciding factor for me.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

We had a tradition Williamsburg colonial house with the formal living room and dining in the front of the house and the kitchen and family room in the back of the house.  That house was built in 1987 and the kitchen and family room were open to each other and I loved it, that's where we spend 99% of our time.  The living room was never used and the dining room was used three times a year.  We retired, moved to NC and are waiting for our new house to be built.  There is not formal living room or dining room, the kitchen, great room and dining area is one big open area, all the houses being built are being built this way.  I sold, donated or gave away all my traditional cherry wood furniture, won't go with this coastal style home.  Whether it's a trend or not, we love this concept and we will be using all the square footage in this house, unlike our other house, which was too formal and didn't suit our needs anymore.  It's a very casual house.  I think our other sold so fast because it was a blend of the traditional and open concept.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Open concept or not

[ Edited ]

No open concept for me. I do not care for it whether it is currently in style or not.

Our family room is open to our kitchen (we do have French doors between the two) but that is about all the open concept I desire.

I like my rooms to serve their individual purpose and then move on to the next space. Having an open concept is much like a hotel lobby to me. It just wouldn't work for us.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I never heard of open concept until I moved to the midwest.  At the time, you couldn't buy new construction without it being open concept.  My kitchen and eating area are one big room.  I have three quarters of a wall separating the living room.  The part that was hard to get used to was once someone takes a step in the house, they can see everything in all three rooms.  Ah and the open staircase to the cellar.  I'm used to it now and would do it again.

@GCR18  You hit on one of my musts!  Our house is open concept in the back, with small dining area, den and kitchen sort of connected and fairly open, but I once had a house where when people came into the house through the front door you could see into the main living areas and the kitchen and never again!    You can't sit around in your nightgown without SOMEONE coming to the door!!!  And seeing you!!!  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Not.

A true open concept home does not appeal to me in the least. 

I don't mind some homes that have a large kitchen area, with a family room  open with it, but I want a separate formal living room and formal dining room in my home, and the bedrooms on a second floor, or separate from the main living area, where you don't see them or their doors from the 'public' spaces.

@Mominohio  I'm with you all the way on that.  It is so nice to have people come to the door and be greeted or sent packing without being in the part of the house where you really live. 

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  Above all:  LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION as they say.  Nothing can make a home wonderful if it is in a bad location.