Super Contributor

Re: Mom was right about the sheets.

Heres my trick for sheet sets:  fold sheets the best you know how, also all the pillowcases, but one.  Then neatly place all of the set inside the one pilow case.  and place on the shelf.  Now all of one set are now neatly folded inside the pilowcase, and you can lay your hands on the whole set and they stay together and can be stacked and they look neat and tidy.  IMO

Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 sets of sheets for our bed, and both have a bottom fitted sheet. I've learned to fold that blasted bottom sheet as well as I can and I don't sweat the small stuff - neither did my mother (thankfully). I have far too many other things to be concerned with than a neat and tidy linen closet (which are two shelves above my washer/dryer). LOL - I go with the flow. And I'll never give up my fitted bottom sheets!

Respected Contributor

You're going to be tucking that sheet in all the time.  I'll put up with a messy folded fitted sheet, no one looks in my closet but me.

Trusted Contributor

Need to have both flat & fitted sheets.  No problem with folding the fitted sheet, comes out pretty good.  When I store them, I lay out the flat sheet, then fitted sheet on top, then 2 pillow cases on top - they're together as a set.

Respected Contributor

I hated the big wad of fitted sheets in the closet too.

So, when we moved to our 2 bedroom casita, we set one up as the master and the other as an office.    We have one set of king size sheets so it's either on the bed or in the washer.  Problem solved.

Super Contributor

@EastCoastGal  My husband bought me a very expensive set of white, all cotton sheets last year for Christmas. There is nothing I like better than to get into my bed with the slightly bleachy smell from the laundry. Usually, I strip the beds in the morning and have those same sheets back on the beds by bedtime. This weekend, however, I didn't get them dried in time to make the bed before sleep time, so I put a set of microfiber sheets on. Wow, am I spoiled! I wore flannel sheets to bed and it was like I was velcroed into position and could hardly move, lol. Its a LOT easier to slide around more easily with all cotton sheets. I couldn't care less about ironing them like my mom did; nobody sees them anyway. Smiley Very Happy

I can't wait to change back to my white cotton sheets on Saturday. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal

That's the way we've been doing it since we downsized to a smaller home.  I'm going to donate those miserable Isaac sheets and carry on as usual 👍🏼 

@Mary Bailey

Before you put me on a postage stamp, you should know that ironing sheets is not something I normally do.  However, I washed those sheets in a separate load and dried them separately - took them out of the dryer as soon as the buzzer went off and they were so wrinkled that I couldn't have put them on the bed in good conscience.  The top part with the double hem was folded over several times and would have made a lump under the spread.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@house_cat  bow to you. LOL!! I'd never iron sheets.

I I dry the bottom sheet, put that on. Then dry the top sheet, then dry the pillow cases. 

@Mary Bailey... Why didn't I ever think of drying the 2 sheets separately like you do?? I do dry the pillow cases separately with other items because they used to end up inside the fitted sheet in a ball all wrinkled up! Soooo.... I will now dry the 2 sheets separately also because the flat sheet gets tangled up also with the fitted sheet. Thank you for mentioning that!!

Also... a different subject. Your "icon" or I don't really know the correct word... I just LOVE your little smiley gal swinging from the star!! She makes me smile everytime I see her!! I don't know how to put one on my page or where to get it...but one of these days I will figure that out. In the meantime I will keep smiling when I see your cute little gal !! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

DH has figured out the fitted sheet thingy.

He wads them up, slings them into the linen closet, and slams the door quickly!  Not long after we were married I asked him if he thought they folded themselves up neatly there in the dark.

He gave me one of those 'looks' said, 'yes', and walked away.  Many, many years later he must still believe that because that's still how he deals with fitted sheets.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

You all make me feel like a unicorn.  I was brought up as a young girl being taught how to fold fitted sheets.  I used the bed to lay the sheet on to neaten it up because I was so little, but was a pro as a girl and still am now.  I was also expected to do hospital corners with the top sheet and blanket, and still do.  I just thought that was how it was done.  Our sheets were always ironed with the mangle (of course I thought everyone had a mangle). 

mangle.jpg

I first started ironing when I was 5-years old, doing flats, which included dresser scarves and pillow cases.  My mom still irons everything that needs it before it goes on the bed, although sheets are not 100% cotton anymore.  I am not as bad as she is, but there is something to be said for crisp linens and an ironed pillow case.  Everytime I make my hospital corners, I think of my grandma, in her 90's, supervising the changing of her sheets.  "Don't forget to make hospital corners."  A nice trick with a minimum of 5 blankets on the bed.