Honored Contributor

Re: Mom was right about the sheets.

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@GraceLady

My Mom believed in child labor, I started ironing very early too.  Started with my Dad’s pocket handkerchiefs.  My Aunt taught me to make beds, she was a nurse, still do those hospital corners!  Also, all pillowcases are open toward the room door!

@Drythe  I arrange the pillowcases so that the open side is facing the outer side of the bed, so they are basically a mirror image of each other.  Do you face them all the same way?

@faeriemoon

Love the cartoon you posted, tee hee!  Stole a copy for myself.

Yes, wherever the entrance door to the room is, the pillows both face that direction.      > >🚪.

My Aunt was a kind, caring woman, she had 5 kids and worked full time.  She must have had one tough Head Nurse!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Either way, whatever gives us the best sleep.  Right now all mine are fitted.  DH got me a new bed and some of my sheets are baggy on it but then some are very tight on his. Since they are both queen size I would ideally like to have sheets that would fit both mattresses nicely.  That is another reason I "might" consider flat sheets for the bottom.  I remain undecided at the moment....or until these wear out.

Honored Contributor

Not an issue for me.  No problem folding them.  I fold the fitten sheet into a long rectangle, then fold flat and pillow cases as  small as I can and wrap the fitted rectangle around them into one small bundle that fits neatly on the shelf.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do like fitted bottom sheets and found a way to fold them.  Mine are queen sized percale and always dried outdoors.  I have 4 sets because I get bored Smiley Happy

I lay the fitted sheet on my bed and pull it all out.  I then fold the short sides toward the middle and start folding the long side together.  Viola.........a nice neat package.  Never could follow that tutorial video!

My linens have to be neatly folded and stored.......OCD, you know Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox   The one's in the picture are from e-bay.  I have also purchased some from Walmart, Target and even got them for $1 at Christmas Tree Shops.

Some are only 12x12 or 6x12  and some are larger or taller.  I have different sizes depending on the size of my shelves.

I have them in my RV closets too. They always look neat and tidy and keep things from falling out or toppling over.

I like them a lot...they are once and done organization.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

I have more than a few that I use, under the sink and in the linnen closet, just not for my towels or sheets, after seeing this I will look into geting some more

@Carmie wrote:

@I am still oxox   The one's in the picture are from e-bay.  I have also purchased some from Walmart, Target and even got them for $1 at Christmas Tree Shops.

Some are only 12x12 or 6x12  and some are larger or taller.  I have different sizes depending on the size of my shelves.

I have them in my RV closets too. They always look neat and tidy and keep things from falling out or toppling over.

I like them a lot...they are once and done organization.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of my flat sheets look brand new because I pretty much never use them.  I am a fitted-sheet girl! 

I don't have a problem folding them, and I keep all of my sheets and pillowcases in long drawers in one of the dressers in my bedroom.  (I like to keep things close to where they're used.)  So they're very much tucked away, completely out of sight.

As others have said, I can't imagine having just one set of sheets.  Not only because of variety, but also what if someone got ill or something and sheets needed to be changed in the middle of the night?  I have always had at least 3 sets for each bed so one can be in the laundry, one can be on the bed, and one extra.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@house_cat

After you teach your hubby the duvet thing, will you teach me?  Honestly, it's embarrassing how I can't do that.  

@chrystaltree

I think you were asking me.

There is a video from Real Simple that is fairly straightforward.  Google for the link as it will go to Poofland.

Here are the steps-

1. Turn duvet cover inside out.
  2. Lay duvet cover on bed with the opening at the foot of the bed.
  3. Lay comforter on top of duvet cover.
  4. Starting at the head of the bed, roll both the duvet cover and comforter together toward the foot of the bed.
  5. Once at the end, invert the duvet cover opening around the ends of both sides of the bundle (like a sandwich baggie).
  6. Button or zip the duvet cover closed.
  7. Unroll the bundle in the opposite direction (back toward the head of the bed) and fluff.
Honored Contributor

I am happy to say ,this is one thing i do not worry about.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I don't mind the fitted sheet and would not quit using mine...I learned years ago how to nicely fold a fitted sheet..continues to this day.  The area I store my sheets looks nice and neat.