Honored Contributor

Re: Mom was right about the sheets.

I've never had a problem with the fitted sheet.

I always put the opening of the pillowcases facing outward.  My husband makes the bed facing them inward.  I don't know why it bugs me, but it does.  I will switch them back to my way.  LOL

Honored Contributor

My only problem with fitted sheets is the folding situation.  I watch the videos and it looks easy, and I was never particularly stupid or anything but some weird block happens in my head and I cannot replicate that.

My only other biggest thing with sheets (aside from that they need to be a good cotton) is that I have to get the tone-on-tone striped ones so I don't have to dink around with trying to figure out which way they go.

Super Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I've never had a problem with the fitted sheet.

I always put the opening of the pillowcases facing outward.  My husband makes the bed facing them inward.  I don't know why it bugs me, but it does.  I will switch them back to my way.  LOL

They go outward, naturally.  If you turn your head inward, you want to smooth cased pillow, not the flappy ends, in your face.  You are doing the right thing.  You have a husband making the bed.  Remain silent so he continues to make the bed and make the switch when he isn't looking.  

Regular Contributor

My mom taught me how to store sheets neatly, fold the flat sheet into a rectangle.  Fold the fitted sheet by bringing all the corners together and lay on bed, straighten out the sheet with the gathered parts folded over on two sides.  Fold over into rectangle (the same shape as fitted sheet). Place the fitted sheet and the folded pillow cases inside the flat sheet by opening up the final fold, then folding it back over them.  You now have one neat package.  Place in the linen closet with the fold side out. The entire set is together.  It works great for cotton sheets and flannels, not so great for fleece sheets, they are just too bulky.

Super Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@GraceLady

My Mom believed in child labor, I started ironing very early too.  Started with my Dad’s pocket handkerchiefs.  My Aunt taught me to make beds, she was a nurse, still do those hospital corners!  Also, all pillowcases are open toward the room door!

After flats, comes collars and cuffs!  My favorite day was sprinkle day.  Mom did have to keep an eye on me because it was so much fun.  I learned quickly the next day when when everything came out of the bag why I shouldn't over sprinkle. My grandma and mom worked in hospitals for years, too.  

I would never call this child labor.  This falls under knowledge.  I am super thankful that I can do all the things she taught me to do.  I was the last of an era of girls to have basically "forced Home-Ec", while boys had wood/metal shop.  My sisters didn't have the same experiences I did.  My sisters didn't even pick up the same level of  homemaking skills I did and we are just a couple of years apart in age.  Times changed very quickly.  (They can fold fitted sheets though!)  In addition to learning the proper way to iron, I learned to cook, bake, and sew to a much higher level than girls younger than me. 

I like knowing the right way to do things, and do get surprised when I learn how few people can do some things or didn't know things because this knowledge is dying.  Just because I can sew doesn't mean I make my own clothes.  I am really glad I know how to set a sleeve, put in a zipper, customize patterns a little.  All basic stuff, but my kids had the best Halloween costumes around.  One day when I have grandkids, I hope I can do it again.  It was also a way of bonding with my mom and my grandma.  They are great memories.  

To your point, my mom did believe in her kids working around the house.  It was nothing my parents hadn't done, but the reasons were different.  As was a widow with four kids, there were times when she needed all of us to chip in with chores.  We didn't have any friends who had to do chores which was really hard sometimes.  They would ride by on their bikes asking my mom if we could come play while we were doing the weekly yard work on Saturday morning.  Pure torture!  As a child, my husband grew up doing nothing around the house, so we came from very different worlds.  What did we do?  We gave our kids chores.  My husband didn't want our kids to grow up with a sense of entitlement instead of a work ethic, and I saw all my childhood friends, all the ones I was so jealous of without chores, taking far too long to figure out how to adult without mommy and daddy to lend a helping hand.  I think we did okay by our kids.  I am not second-guessing--yet.  

Honored Contributor

I don’t care if my fitted sheets are not folded properly and my linen closet is messy. Not important. 😉
Valued Contributor

I have it all solved, for me anyway.  One set of sheets!  Off they come on Laundry day in the wash, in the dryer and immediately put on the bed.