Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep your TV?

We have 1 TV. It sits on a low coffee table we bought at Ikea decades ago for the boys to play on with their trains and Legos. It's flanked by 2 bookcases filled with books and artwork by the boys. It works for us and TV is at eye level. 

Honored Contributor

ask your real estate agent how much it is to take it away for storage and will it come out of his/her fee?

seriously  

Honored Contributor

We use this in the living room. It has 6 drawers which are full of cds. The middle part behind glass has the Dish Hopper, DVD player, Receiver, etc.

TV Credenza _resized.jpg

Respected Contributor

We purchased a very nice wood TV amoire years ago and had our old 32" CRT set (weighing in at 150 lbs.) in it. The CRT was going kaput and we got a flat screen Samsung that fits into it. 

familyRoom.JPG

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We have been told by our Realtor that our entertainment center is a dinosaur and we should get rid of it. It is one of those ones that covers an entire wall,has cabinets on each end and under the TV area. The area for the TV is about 60" so we have a TV about 50" in there. Above the TV is a shelf that I use as a sort of mantal to display family pictures.All in all, this piece of furniture is 8ft wide x 84" tall.I could never get along without it because it holds so much stuff. The TV - The DVD player, CD player,speakers, radio, drawers to hold dvds and cds neatly in place, so you can read what they are, all our books  and has lots of display space behind glass doors.

So I wonder, since my entertainment center is passe - where do you all have your TV ?

BTW - in our guest room and in DH's den, and the kitchen  the TV's are hanging on the wall. 

@151949  I have been thinking of having an entertainment center with lots of display and storage space built onto a very long living room wall, that or buy one.  I hadn't heard that it was passe, which I highly doubt, as I see them in high end furniture stores, and in furniture catalogs.

Honored Contributor

My DH told him it may be a dinosaur but it is our dinosaur and we like it so we will be keeping it.

We were very fortunate that we got one that perfectly fits one entire wall in our living room. We had an issue at first that when you walked into our living room you were looking directly into the side of this piece of furniture so all the areas behind it - all the wires etc were visable.My DH - handy guy that he is to have around - bought a nice piece of oak and stained it to exactly match then using L shaped brackets attached it to the side of the cabinet, hiding that view behind it from the side.So even though the furniture is 4" out from the wall to make room for all the cords etc, it looks like it's right up against the wall when you see it from the side.

Honored Contributor

@151949 - it sounds as if we have similar pieces.

I don't care if it's passe or old fashioned, I love that piece of furniture and I'm not about to get rid of it because of that.  Like you said, what are you supposed to do with all the other stuff that's connected to the TV because you would still need some sort of cabinet to hold it all even if the TV is hanging on the wall.

Sometimes these real estate agents need to shut the hello up and mtob...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I completely agree. We were so happy when we found this piece we would never consider getting rid of it. Because ours completely fills one wall - literally fits from one end to the other of that wall, without even an inch to spare, I think it looks custom made. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

First let me say, I cannot imagine someone coming into my home and saying something like that..........we would NOT be working together.

I don't like tvs in the living room at all. Our family room tv is on a beautiful cabinet. It would be inside the cabinet but my husband wanted a larger tv. I dislike it and will opt for a smaller one the next time around.

I have our bedroom tv in a beautiful armoire and the other tvs sit on bookcases. I am not a fan of hanging televisions and I agree with others about hanging one over the fireplace...not for me.

Our kitchen tv (yes, too many) is on my kitchen counter. 

Honored Contributor

The tv in our family room is on top of a tv stand.  It has wheels and 2 cabinets on each side with doors then a larger center section where we keep our cable box and DVD. 

Our TV in our bedroom is on 2 stools.  LOL  When we bought this newer tv the legs are off to the sides and didn't fit on our old tv stand so we had to improvise.

We do have a tv in our basement hanging on the wall but that's because it's hanging above our treadmill.