Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you keep your TV?

We don’t like TVs on the wall. When we built we said we would not do that. My sister had hers above the fireplace and it’s so high. You need a recliner to see it without getting a neck cramp. My parents did say though they might end up putting the one in their bedroom on the wall. But the one in the great room wil be on a stand. We just did not want to put holes in the walls. I just received a tv stand for mine in the bedroom.

Respected Contributor

@151949

so your realtor is telling you that you should rip that out before you sell your house?

Respected Contributor

@151949  I say if it works for you keep it.  You live in your home, not other people.  I am a firm believer that what goes around always comes back around years later with little alteration in style/color.

Our TV sits on the top of a small teak stand I have had for 45 years.  The bottom two shelfs holds components such as DVR and sound bar.  The design is simple, well made and our refinished hardwood floors now blend in with the color of the stand.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I have a TV in the living room and one in my bedroom.  Both are 40" TV's and are in very nice armoires.  I realize armoires are not in style right now, but I don't like to see TV's out in the open.  I especially don't like them over fireplaces.  I don't like looking up to see the TV and just don't like the look of them over fireplaces in general.

@NickNack

I don't like a TV in a formal space at all. I won't have one in my living room, and haven't for decades now. Don't mind seeing it in a more casual room, like a family room, but don't like them in a formal living room at all.

And I still like armoires. I don't have the space in most of my rooms for one, but I love the look of them.

Valued Contributor

I have cats, so the TV is in one of those entertainment centers. I had it out in an open table type of unit, but those TV's tip over easily and I didn't want a squashed kitty if she got up on it. There are windows behind the unit, so the TV couldn't be mounted on the wall, and I don't like bending my neck upward to watch TV. If you have small children or pets that check out the TV now and then, an entertainment center is still the way to go. Panel types of TV are lighter in weight that the old picture tube sets, but they can still harm a child or pet. A pet will get on anything that is warm, and they don't listen to the word no.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I have a TV in the living room and one in my bedroom.  Both are 40" TV's and are in very nice armoires.  I realize armoires are not in style right now, but I don't like to see TV's out in the open.  I especially don't like them over fireplaces.  I don't like looking up to see the TV and just don't like the look of them over fireplaces in general.

@NickNack

I don't like a TV in a formal space at all. I won't have one in my living room, and haven't for decades now. Don't mind seeing it in a more casual room, like a family room, but don't like them in a formal living room at all.

And I still like armoires. I don't have the space in most of my rooms for one, but I love the look of them.

@Mominohio  I'm glad someone else likes armoires, too.  I don't have a formal living room.  What I referred to as my living room is really a family room/great room.  I have a small house and don't have a formal living room at all.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I had one of those large cabinets but gave it away 10 yrs ago.  I put all that stuff on a 3 tier glass stand and I wish I hadn't.  It needs to be cleaned often and I can't get on my knees to clean it.  I always ask my GD to clean it when she comes over and I get the stink eye from her.  So I'm thinking about some other wood cabinet that can be closed off.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

I don’t think an armoire is outdated at all, especially in a bedroom.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

We had a similar entertainment center we purchased in the mid 80's. Of course the tv opening wasn't very wide and it was made for old type tv's. We got rid of it a few years ago. Now the tv is on a 5 foot long cabinet with some display area underneath. The tv in the bedroom is on a sofa table at the foot of the bed.

We did too.  Had a large cabinet for our big screen (at the time!) 36" clumker TV back in the 80s & 90s.  We replaced it with a long & low cabinet that our 62" TV sits on now.

All components are in the cabinet underneath the TV.  The speakers are much smaller than they used to be but are still powerful.  They sit on small decorative glass shelves on either side of the TV on the wall.

Our 20" kitchen TV is mounted under a cabinet.  This wall of cabinets are higher than the other main cabinets in the kitchen. Our TV in the master is 32" and fits perfectly into an amoire.  We used to have a small old clunker in that cabinet and for the room the size is fine.

I have a TV in the basement that is 40" and it just sits on an old cabinet.

Esteemed Contributor

Depends what you want. Sell your house or keep your beloved entertainmrnt center?

You hired a realtor. Guaranteed she knows the mar

ket and trends better then yiu do, do as she suggests.