Honored Contributor

We have been told by our Realtor that our entertainment center is a dinosaur and we should get rid of it. It is one of those ones that covers an entire wall,has cabinets on each end and under the TV area. The area for the TV is about 60" so we have a TV about 50" in there. Above the TV is a shelf that I use as a sort of mantal to display family pictures.All in all, this piece of furniture is 8ft wide x 84" tall.I could never get along without it because it holds so much stuff. The TV - The DVD player, CD player,speakers, radio, drawers to hold dvds and cds neatly in place, so you can read what they are, all our books  and has lots of display space behind glass doors.

So I wonder, since my entertainment center is passe - where do you all have your TV ?

BTW - in our guest room and in DH's den, and the kitchen  the TV's are hanging on the wall. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep your TV?

We had a similar entertainment center we purchased in the mid 80's. Of course the tv opening wasn't very wide and it was made for old type tv's. We got rid of it a few years ago. Now the tv is on a 5 foot long cabinet with some display area underneath. The tv in the bedroom is on a sofa table at the foot of the bed.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

All 3 TVs hang on the wall. 

Master Bedroom has a floating shelf under TV with DVD player & cable box.

Guest room has Amazon Firee stick.

TV room has a sofa table under TV with DVD player & cable box.

Respected Contributor

I do think that look is a little passe'. We had one many moons ago and it was in dark wood. Was glad to see it go. We have a very large tv but it still sits on a tv stand about 4 feet long. It has cabinets underneath it where we store some movies and stuff. We also have a built in small shelving area where we keep all the other equipment and all the wiring is in the walls. No mess to see at all. When we added this room we planned for that built in shelving and hidden wiring. Love it. 

Honored Contributor

Our large tv in the family room is on a mission oak style cabinet that I just love for that room. 

The kitchen tv sits on the counter in a corner, and the bedroom tv is on a wooden small stand/cabinet near the bed. 

I used to love those wall size centers, but glad I never invested in one, as this house really isn't the place for one, as I think they take a big room with lots of wall space. 

I detest seeing televisions hanging especially over the fireplace. 

I will never come to grips with ruining the ambiance of a fireplace with an electronic black slab hanging over it.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio.  And besides that, when the tv is hung up there it is not the normal height for tv viewing. Who wants to watch tv with their neck stretched back. A tv should be at eye level.

Honored Contributor

I had to pay to have one of those media centers hauled away:/

The main tv sits on a low, 5-6 ft long, turquoise-stained cabinet with storage. The bedroom tv is stored in a dresser/hutch combo that was designed for flat panel tvs.   

Honored Contributor

We took our mid 90's entertainment/curio unit apart, just just using the base for stereo equipment and glasses, the tv sits on the base and it looks perfect. Bear in mind DH is very handy with things

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Mominohio.  And besides that, when the tv is hung up there it is not the normal height for tv viewing. Who wants to watch tv with their neck stretched back. A tv should be at eye level.

Exactly, @proudlyfromNJ.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a TV in the living room and one in my bedroom.  Both are 40" TV's and are in very nice armoires.  I realize armoires are not in style right now, but I don't like to see TV's out in the open.  I especially don't like them over fireplaces.  I don't like looking up to see the TV and just don't like the look of them over fireplaces in general.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau