Respected Contributor

Dumb hubby left out dairy products!

[ Edited ]

Dumb hubby was to put items in fridge when I got home from grocery store. Whoops, he forgot to put full fat buttermilk, light cottage cheese, and Cool Whip in the fridge. They were in an 80 degree room for five hours till I found them. Just wanted to get some thoughts. Isn't it funny how it's so painful to have to throw things out you just bought!

My thinking is that I could still use the buttermilk in recipes that will be cooked...like cornbread. Could not use it for anything else. The Cool Whip was frozen so it is now thawed. Wonder if it is okay? I think the cottage cheese will be tossed for sure. Woman Frustrated

What are your thoughts? Thanks much. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Dumb hubby left out dairy products!

I can relate, men will be men.

Honored Contributor

Accidents happen.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I would throw it out. 

We’ve had to do that too and yes it’s painful to throw things away you just bought. But better be safe than sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

Happened to me.  Similiar items.  No problem just put them in the fridge.  You can always taste them and if they seem odd then throw them out.  

Trusted Contributor

Toss the dumb hubby with the cottege cheese.

Respected Contributor

Wait a minute, I don't want anyone defending hubby here. I'm still mad at him. Ha! And get this, when I found the items he immediately says, "I'll still eat them." Woman Surprised The last thing I need is to have to take him to the ER. Men!

Learned my lesson here, I will put up ALL groceries from now on. I had gotten a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday and after stomping around in the grocery store for well over an hour I was kinda spent. I asked him to help with putting things up. My mistake.     

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yikes....that's frustrating, but I think you're being kind of hard on your hubby. I honestly don't think some men think of things the way we do. Mine has a habit of putting things in the freezer that don't need to be frozen...like already prepared mashed potatoes that take forever to thaw! Oh well. I'd probably put all of those items in the refrigerator until tomorrow  and then check on them....and probably just start over!

@pupwhipped, one more thought - LOL! My hubby sometimes takes leftovers out of the refrigerator at 10:00 a.m. that he wants to eat in the afternoon....good grief. He always says that he wants them to come to room temperature! It's amazing that he has never gotten sick - I just ignore what he does and definitely eat something else! He doesn't think food can "go bad"....! It is what it is!

Respected Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

Toss the dumb hubby with the cottege cheese.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Good answer. LOL!

Respected Contributor

I would send him back to the store and when he gets home, I'd make sure to personally store items in refrigerator. Smiley Wink