Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep your TV?

I think wall units can look imposing and dominate a room. We do have an armoire though. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Our large tv in the family room is on a mission oak style cabinet that I just love for that room. 

The kitchen tv sits on the counter in a corner, and the bedroom tv is on a wooden small stand/cabinet near the bed. 

I used to love those wall size centers, but glad I never invested in one, as this house really isn't the place for one, as I think they take a big room with lots of wall space. 

I detest seeing televisions hanging especially over the fireplace. 

I will never come to grips with ruining the ambiance of a fireplace with an electronic black slab hanging over it.

One hundred percent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had one of those huge monster entertainment centers and when we downsized and moved, no one and I mean no one wanted it,  not even Goodwill.  We lucked out a friend of a friend wanted it.

Our TV is now wall mounted above the fireplace.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MominohioI've never been a fan of a televisions in the living room and avoided it in each home. Currently have a TV on a patio which spends the winter in a garage, a large TV in the family room (we had bookcases built to hold it with doors to hide it), a TV in the master bedroom hidden in a walk-in closet side wall, and a TV sitting on a cherry dropleaf table in the guest bedroom used by my grandson. Don't watch enough TV to want one in the kitchen, the office or any other bedrooms! I've donated all other TV's to charity. They were something else to dust! 

@151949If your Realtor is strongly suggesting you remove the large piece of furniture, perhaps placing it in storage for a quick sale might be a good idea. Less is best. Your home will appear larger and brighter inside. He/she is the professional. Don't fight his/her expertise. They deal with these issues on a daily basis and know how to "stage" a home.

My sister and her husband listed their home in Tampa about two months ago. The market is moving quickly. They also were encouraged to remove a lot of their personal possessions and furniture. They did. Their home is large and on Tampa Bay (prime real estate). It sold quickly.

Best wishes if you go through with this plan to sell again. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

Oh no! A tv above a fireplace, an entertainment center, armoires! Someone alert the church elders! 😂  Except in the case where you are trying to sell your home, realtors do have their finger on the pulse of what to do and what not to do. As far as decorating “do’s and don’t’s” ~ to each his own. And never say never. One person’s tv over the fireplace is another’s 2’ x 3’ family pic from the late ‘70s, double-matted in burgundy and hunter green, in a shiny gold frame over the fireplace. (Btw, not a thing wrong with family pics.) It’s all subjective. Have a wonderful rest of your week! 🌷

Esteemed Contributor

@151949, my sister just bought a huge entertainment center from Ikea, In the center is

a 60inch TV. This is in a large family room. We love it. The entertainment center also has

a few books and other things. Alexa is also there (for some reason Alexa doesnt like me) 

I would say bye Alexa and she says BYE. Nothing wrong with your entertainment center

long as the room is big enough to house it

Esteemed Contributor

@151949. I agree with @BirkiLady.  The real estate agent probably wants your room to look larger.  If I really liked the unit, I would take her advice and remove it and use it again when I moved.

I get why people love the bit wall units as they are great storage places.

I keep my cd's in a binder and got rid of the jackets.  All are uploaded to my devices so I don't use them anymore.  I buy music online, no more cds.  My ereader holds my books so I don't need storage for them anymore and I stream movies, I never did buy many so that is not an issue for me.  When you don't store books, cds or movies, you don't need all that storage space.

My tv's are either on the wall or on cabinetry that sits on the floor, none of them large units.  My sister had a large mahogany unit in her den.  She couldn't give it away either.

Good luck with the sale of your home.  LM  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949.  I thought you took your home off the market awhile ago. 

Oh, and I guess I am an odd one here as I only have one living room. Small 3 bedroom ranch from 1959. Although I do have a finished basement. Just doesn't get much use except for overnight guests. But there is a tv down there. The biggest one in the house!

Honored Contributor

My main TV is retractable and goes down inside a credenza cabinet when it's out of site. Looks like a piece of furniture.

Honored Contributor

If the room is large enough so that the "dinosaur" does not overwhelm it, I'd sort of ignore the realtor .  But I would cull the objects displayed and be as certain as I could that what's left on any shelf belongs.  I'd also try to remove any small or smallish pieces of furniture in that room that only seem to emphasize how large the entertainment center is.