Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

@alicedee wrote:

This is the section of my bathroom counter that was driving me nuts lol!  

Now I have to tackle the under-sink cabinet.   There is very little storage in my tiny bathroom, so I have to make do!

A68653B6-3F9F-48E3-9FD0-F0F5EA98BF8A.jpeg

@alicedee - That looks really nice, love the picture!

Respected Contributor

@Roscoe the Rascal wrote:

Today on my list to purge and organize is the cabinet in my washroom that holds extra appliances long forgotten.  I found a place that said they could use those items.  So my project for today.

My sister recently passed away and my family has to do the clean out.  Been working on that as time allows.   No easy task and she was a big saver.  This has been a difficult task but also has given me the incentive to organize and move stuff out so my daughter will have an easier time with our house.  Wow lots of stuff.  3 bedroom ranch style home with a full downstairs, attached two stall garage.

I have to say I am pretty organized compared to what I have been dealing with.  I have two sisters.  I was always the clean freak, my other sister 2 nd in line and the one who passed well let's say not on the top of her list.  God love her.

Happy purging.

@Roscoe the Rascal - It is always eye opening when you have to go thru someone's stuff who has passed isn't it?

My sister and I had to do that with my mom. My dad had already been gone for several years and my mom lived alone in a 2 bedroom condo, no basement. She had moved out of their house about 8 years prior. So she didn't have tons of stuff.

But it still took me and my sister about a month to go thru everything. I can't imagine if they had been in my childhood home stuffed to the gills when they died. It would have been overwhelming. It is a big job for sure. Good luck. 

Respected Contributor

I made a little progress in my master bath.  I had several philosophy skin care products that came in kits.  I had never used them and held on to them in hopes of using in the future.  Well..........They are now way out of date and useless.  I feel badly about it but finally tossed them.

Made some progress filling my daughters' boxes too.  Just getting their "stuff" out of here will give me so much space to organize.  

Still need to make my run to Goodwill so I cannot actually count that stuff yet as it is not actually out of here!🤣

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

Last week I took a few items to Goodwill: an afghan I no longer use. That was hard because I make them! I have 2 more that I plan to donate or give away to family members. I also donated some household items, tops, sweaters and a few Christmas decorations that were gifts from coworkers that I never liked or used. I just kept them because they were gifts. I also threw out a few old household items that were in too bad a shape to donate. Next up is my underwear and sock drawer, and more tops that I just don't wear anymore. 

Happy purging, everyone.

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

This is the section of my bathroom counter that was driving me nuts lol!  

Now I have to tackle the under-sink cabinet.   There is very little storage in my tiny bathroom, so I have to make do!

A68653B6-3F9F-48E3-9FD0-F0F5EA98BF8A.jpeg

@alicedee - That looks really nice, love the picture!

Thank you!  My apartment is an old and outdated one....but affordable!  I am on a fixed income, and have to come up with inexpensive solutions to storage.  It is an ongoing process, for sure!

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, this thread is going strong. I haven't been on for a little while but I am

always putting things on the side for my next trip to Goodwill.

Been going through more things in my basement. I have packed 2 pair of

kids snowboots, a doll, books and a few other small items. Probably going to

toss in a few clean stuffed animals.

I always like to put the bags I plan to drop off right in my trunk and then next 

time I pass by it makes it easier in case I am rushing around like I usually do

before I do my errands that day. 

Keep up the good work everyone!

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

Wow, this thread is going strong. I haven't been on for a little while but I am

always putting things on the side for my next trip to Goodwill.

Been going through more things in my basement. I have packed 2 pair of

kids snowboots, a doll, books and a few other small items. Probably going to

toss in a few clean stuffed animals.

I always like to put the bags I plan to drop off right in my trunk and then next 

time I pass by it makes it easier in case I am rushing around like I usually do

before I do my errands that day. 

Keep up the good work everyone!

I like that tip about immediately getting the donation bags in your car....I need to start doing that with bottles and cans I have to return to the grocery store (my State charges a deposit on bottles and cans, and you have to return to get your $ back).

Honored Contributor

Added a glass beverage dispenser w/spigot to the donations stash. Another bulky item that is rarely used. It can go.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Purge Lite today. End of the liturgical Christmas season, so I have taken down most of the decorations except the tree, which will come down this week.

Went through the two drawers of my night stand. Tossed a few random papers, a duplicate tape measure and a small planner notebook . I have no idea why I was keeping that. While doing laundry yesterday I pitched an old white tank top that had seen better days.

While purging, I am taking both mental and in some cases physical inventory so as not to buy duplicates of things I already have and maybe can't find because they are stored incorrectly or in a cluttered drawer, cabinet, etc. It's January- must start the New Year by being mindful of spending and saving. I used to keep "stashes" of things I used often, especially Health & Beauty: no more than one extra of an item now. 

Esteemed Contributor

Agree with you @queendiva about using up what you have before purchasing

doubles with beauty items especially.

I would always stock up with a TSV on my favorite brand and always have a

double of something on hand to save a few bucks. Then when I would go to

use the second pencil most of the time it would be dried up and hard. So 

there goes the savings, I would end up tossing it and there was no savings

at all.

Also storing all the doubles occupies a lot of my free space and then sometimes

I would even forget that I bought it if it was a long time ago. So good advice,

buy and use as needed.