Frequent Contributor

Re: So how much of your house, inside and out....

I think I have a serious Christmas addicition.  It started 2 years ago when we moved into our new house - began in the living room and spread to the 2nd floor landing, the basement, the guest bath, the kids rooms, the laundry room, the kitchen, the master bedroom then the basement.  I put up 7 trees last year and enjoyed them all.  I know that much decorating isn't for everyone but for me it brings me a lot of joy to pull out decorations that were my relatives (many of whom have passed away).  It's like the one time of year that I feel we are all still close together.  I mix in my estate sale and thrift store finds.  I start the weekend before Thanksgiving (unless I'm hosting) then it's Thanksgiving weekend and decorate for a couple weekends straight.  I love the glow the house has with all the lamps off and the candles and trees glowing.  I leave it up until almost the end of January.  Outside - I decorate the front porch and tried to decorate the flower beds but where I am it gets very cold and the stuff froze in the ground and stayed there until Spring!!  I know it drove my neighbors crazy, but it made me smile seeing my snowman peeking out from the snow bank!    

This was the snowman tree I made from a BL tree I got "as-is" from QVC.  He was in the corner of the guest bath.  The material came from stash, the styrofoam head I got a couple years ago (after Christmas sale).  The hat got a my local fabric store along with the flowers around his feet.  I hang up on the wall one of the prints QVC sells that has cardinals in it and it looks like it's snowing.

Snowman Tree.JPG

Honored Contributor

@qshpr89 wrote:

I think I have a serious Christmas addicition.  It started 2 years ago when we moved into our new house - began in the living room and spread to the 2nd floor landing, the basement, the guest bath, the kids rooms, the laundry room, the kitchen, the master bedroom then the basement.  I put up 7 trees last year and enjoyed them all.  I know that much decorating isn't for everyone but for me it brings me a lot of joy to pull out decorations that were my relatives (many of whom have passed away).  It's like the one time of year that I feel we are all still close together.  I mix in my estate sale and thrift store finds.  I start the weekend before Thanksgiving (unless I'm hosting) then it's Thanksgiving weekend and decorate for a couple weekends straight.  I love the glow the house has with all the lamps off and the candles and trees glowing.  I leave it up until almost the end of January.  Outside - I decorate the front porch and tried to decorate the flower beds but where I am it gets very cold and the stuff froze in the ground and stayed there until Spring!!  I know it drove my neighbors crazy, but it made me smile seeing my snowman peeking out from the snow bank!    

This was the snowman tree I made from a BL tree I got "as-is" from QVC.  He was in the corner of the guest bath.  The material came from stash, the styrofoam head I got a couple years ago (after Christmas sale).  The hat got a my local fabric store along with the flowers around his feet.  I hang up on the wall one of the prints QVC sells that has cardinals in it and it looks like it's snowing.

Snowman Tree.JPG

@qshpr89

Seven trees, OH MY! I bet that is something beautiful to see!

I think moving into a new house can really get the creative juices flowing, and we come up with all kinds of new ideas.

I love the decorating too, and love the results. I just am paring it down to take less time and effort. I don't want to spend days on end decorating (and un decorating) each year for Christmas now. I just don't have it in me physically to get into it that much, but still want the results!

Enjoy the process and the wonderful results!

Frequent Contributor

I love to decorate but have been cutting back a lot in the past two years. A smaller slim tree, gold and cream color theme a few large flameless candles and natural greenery on the mantel.  A lit wreath on the front door. For me less is more, clutter makes me feel stressed.

Respected Contributor

Inside, my tree is the focal point. Some years I decorate my antler chandelier with beads or ornaments. Some years I decorate the inside shelves of one of my larger antique pieces with brush bottle trees. That is about it.

Outside, some years I wrap my front porch posts with lights.

Hmmm, other than my tree - notice that the other few things are "some years". Either I have gotten lazy or getting old ... Preferably, lazy 🎄 

-Texas Hill Country-
Super Contributor

Inside, I have downsized my tree to 5' and it is in my sunroom.  I usually decorate my living room and sunroom.  In the kitchen, I put a bunch of red and gold ornaments in a glass vase and use it as a centerpiece, I display a ceramic Santa cookie jar and also use kitchen towels and table runners.  

Outside, I have a wreath on the door and have some battery operated lights that I string around a bench and some bushes.  I also have some Bethlehem Lights small stake trees and hanging baskets that I have had for years.

I do use a lot of candles in every room that I use all year room and always seem festive.

Honored Contributor

None. I live alone and visit my parents for the holidays. I don't fee a need to decorate or clean up when it's just me who would see it. I do have some holiday decorations I put up in my cubicle at work.

Respected Contributor

Inside, I add holiday decor of some sort to every room, but we don't have a tree.  We travel to spend Christmas with my parents and decorate a tree at their house.  Outside, I only have a holiday wreath on the front door.  

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I are childless by choice so not a lot of the cutesy xmas things were ever bought.  I really am not into the holiday stuff and gave away most all of my things a couple of years ago. 

I don't find many items in good taste or interesting.  Oh well, it's just me.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

A wreath on  the front door; that's it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

So many responses from those who keep it simple, I wonder who is buying all of QVC's Christmas decor! I too have scaled back and prefer a few nice pieces rather than a lot of small items. I have found the unpacking and packing back up to be too time consuming and I like a feel of simplicity.

My mantle and tree are the focus. I have a few tabletop items in the living room but not on every surface. I don't decorate the bathrooms, bedrooms, or office. I have several Old World Christmas Santa lights and choose one to use each year in the kitchen.

Over the years I have collected some beautiful porcelain angels, blown glass tree toppers, and mercury glass trees. I usually rotate using them on the mantle to make each year a bit different; I don't use it all at once. I vary the heights of the mantle display using various pedestals and decorative Christmas boxes. I change them up depending if the look is colorful or if I use a champagne, silver, and white theme. My tree is the hodge podge of my life. I scaled back to a 5' tree so I can handle it without help. I don't plan on buying anything decor related for this season.