Honored Contributor

@fthunt   Not many people wear watches anymore.  They use their phone to get the time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

DH stopped wearing suits  or sportcoats to the office years ago. It seems a shirt w/ sleeves rolled up and sometimes a tie is more than acceptable. 

It used to be that professional offices had dress codes. He said many years ago in NY, men used to wear suits, dressy over coats, etc. Those days are gone. DH's clients feel more comfortable and relaxed coming to their tax appts. and they've told him he seems more approachable when not "suited up".

The dress code has definitely been more relaxed and I am all for it.  I thought Jamie Dimon was much more casual than I have ever seen in a bank or professional workplace.  I have seen his type of attire with film, music and construction industry workers.

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Another elite , telling everyone what they should or need to do

@skatting44 Your comment cracks me up.  For those who work at J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, he is THE boss.  Bosses do tell their employees what they can and can't wear.

To be clear, he wasn't discussing fashion, he was just advocating for the end of work from home for people who want a career track.  He also makes that decision for J.P. Morgan Chase Bank employees.  He stated he expects normal office attendance by September/October, no doubt taking into account that summer attendance is aways spotty.  

I don't work for him, so he can't tell me when to go to the office or what to wear to work.  In my profession (law), there have been expectations, and what he is wearing would have been too casual pre-pandemic for every day.  Particularly for our banking clients/partners.  Maybe OK for an odd day here and there with no clients.

So I was interested in what he was wearing, what message he is sending with his clothes, since he was in a very visible forum, and what other people are experiencing.  Maybe standards ARE relaxing even more.  

Would love to hear from those who work, what is your experience?

Respected Contributor

Re: Who's Dressing Up?

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Another elite , telling everyone what they should or need to do

@skatting44 Your comment cracks me up.  For those who work at J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, he is THE boss.  Bosses do tell their employees what they can and can't wear.

To be clear, he wasn't discussing fashion, he was just advocating for the end of work from home for people who want a career track.  He also makes that decision for J.P. Morgan Chase Bank employees.  He stated he expects normal office attendance by September/October, no doubt taking into account that summer attendance is aways spotty.  

I don't work for him, so he can't tell me when to go to the office or what to wear to work.  In my profession (law), there have been expectations, and what he is wearing would have been too casual pre-pandemic for every day.  Particularly for our banking clients/partners.  Maybe OK for an odd day here and there with no clients.

So I was interested in what he was wearing, what message he is sending with his clothes, since he was in a very visible forum, and what other people are experiencing.  Maybe standards ARE relaxing even more.  

Would love to hear from those who work, what is your experience?

I'm no longer working, but I spent the bulk of my career in finance for a Fortune 100 pharma company, and then finished up with a stint in wealth/institutional investment management.

Finance is a very conservative area, and for years I wore skirted suits, silk blouses, pumps, hose, statement jewelry - the whole nine yards. But as far back as 25 years ago, that began to change. Slowly, but it changed. To the point where when I went into NYC on business, if I wore a suit I'd be the only one in the room wearing one. I was so relieved to stop running thru airports in heels and a skirt! But man, did I have a LOT of money invested in that wardrobe!

I have a friend who's a senior VP in investment banking. When he goes to the office, it's in NYC. The last time I saw him, he said he'd given away all but 3 or 4 of his suits. Daily dress when seeing clients is usually golf clothes (polo and chinos) with a blazer. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

DH stopped wearing suits  or sportcoats to the office years ago. It seems a shirt w/ sleeves rolled up and sometimes a tie is more than acceptable. 

It used to be that professional offices had dress codes. He said many years ago in NY, men used to wear suits, dressy over coats, etc. Those days are gone. DH's clients feel more comfortable and relaxed coming to their tax appts. and they've told him he seems more approachable when not "suited up".

The dress code has definitely been more relaxed and I am all for it.  I thought Jamie Dimon was much more casual than I have ever seen in a bank or professional workplace.  I have seen his type of attire with film, music and construction industry workers.

@NYCLatinaMe   I assume he can wear whatever he wants. There are people at the "top" who sometimes have the privilege of using their clothing as a statement.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @FrostyBabe1 that is what I have seen as well!

Respected Contributor

Re: Who's Dressing Up For Work?

Weird. There’s a large Chase business service center in city, Chase is one of the largest employers here. Last week there was an article in the paper about how Chase was letting the lease on their downtown offices go and were considering the same with one of the larger suburban office buildings.

The last time I met with our bankers in person was pre-pandemic. None of the men was wearing a tie.
Honored Contributor

Here, bank officers are in suits.  The tellers are wearing more tops with sweaters in place of suits.

Honored Contributor

One of my neighbors works at a Chase bank. I see here coming and going. She wears the same thing almost every time I see her...black pants and a black blazer. It's like a uniform.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

It could be that his office is casual attire unless a client is coming in.  I believe that when you treat employees with some perks (casual dressing) they will produce more work for you.  I use to work in law offices and casual dressing was always acceptable.

@Katcat1 He's a CEO.  There is always "clients" coming in.  And he is at a media event, where people usually wear their best.