Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Times have changed.......the tellers at my branch bank are tattooed, pierced, have multi-color hair......and HEAVY makeup

Not at my bank.

We have joked here in my office that every time we walk across the street to our bank there is a new look to an employee there.  One woman we agreed had the 1970 Phillis George, Miss America look.  Another woman has the very young Loretta Lynn look.  There is a very 1960 ish mad men look teller.  Then my favorites a young man with his man bun, another young man with his Duck Dynasty beard.  Yes he had his mask on at this window and his beard went down to the middle of his chest.  A couple of weeks ago I went in and "man bun" was not sporting his bun but had his locks down in the Bo Derek "10"  movie look.  His hair was almost to his waist.

I get excited to see what will be on display every time I go to make a deposit.  It is like watching a movie or at least a soap opera.  They do all dress very well.

Anyone wearing 2021 fashions?  I guess that would be PJs or loungewear.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Times and fashion change.  Looks fine to me.  I don't wear a shirtwaist, hose and heels to clean house like my grandma.  Or a skirted two piece suit with heels to work.  Or heaven forbid, pants 😜

Clothing says nothing at all about job skills.

Hardly any woman wears any hose for the last 10 years or so.  I have only seen a handful of old fashioned conservative women in DC wear hose since I don't know when.  Or winter when it's cold, and again, not universal, not me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who's Dressing Up For Work?

[ Edited ]

Interesting to read about what people wear in regular retail banks. In my experience in NYC, bank staff (officers, tellers), are always well dressed, men in suits.  I do see tattoos, which are commonplace, but bank staff dress conservatively.  That being said, I think I have only been to a bank twice in the last year.  Gotta get there!

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Another elite , telling everyone what they should or need to do

@skatting44 Your comment cracks me up.  For those who work at J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, he is THE boss.  Bosses do tell their employees what they can and can't wear.

To be clear, he wasn't discussing fashion, he was just advocating for the end of work from home for people who want a career track.  He also makes that decision for J.P. Morgan Chase Bank employees.  He stated he expects normal office attendance by September/October, no doubt taking into account that summer attendance is aways spotty.  

I don't work for him, so he can't tell me when to go to the office or what to wear to work.  In my profession (law), there have been expectations, and what he is wearing would have been too casual pre-pandemic for every day.  Particularly for our banking clients/partners.  Maybe OK for an odd day here and there with no clients.

So I was interested in what he was wearing, what message he is sending with his clothes, since he was in a very visible forum, and what other people are experiencing.  Maybe standards ARE relaxing even more.  

Would love to hear from those who work, what is your experience?

Just cracks me up to.  Your initial post did not indicate he was talking specifically  abt  Morgan Chase Bank  and the  employees under his direction as CEO. Took it as  a general statement he made  abt all employees of all companies.  There are many employees who'd  like to go back to the office if their children could be allowed to go back to school full time  or if there were  slots open in private schools  or if they could find  reliable  safe  child care.

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 with regards to the return to the office, Jamie Dimon spoke for himself, but there were other CEOs who spoke and expressed the same view about returning to offices.  The event was a summit for CEOs sponsored by the Wall Street Journal, a highly regarded business publication.  The target for return to the office for these high level private sector officials seems to be September/October, when presumably the schools will reopen.  I don't know how up to date you are on covid (this is a fashion forum!), but there have been changes to the CDC guidance with regards to schools, vaccination for those 16 and older is ongoing, and possibly younger children are expected to be approved for vaccination soon. The pandemic seems to have reached a turning point, as the actions being taken are effectively reducing the risk of disease in the United States.  So the expectation, at least here in NY, is that schools will be fully open in the fall.  NYC is currently allowing all the students that want to go to school every day to do so, though I think about 60 percent of public school students are going to school remorely, by their own choice.  I know many adults have returned to office work already.

That being said, my post is about fashion, what do those look like at the return to the office.

I think we are all a little PTSD.  I know I am still reluctant to leave the home, even though, fully vaccinated, it should be OK for me to do so.  I had covid last year.  I have been cooped up for too long.  Not fun.  So I will need to re-learn to leave the home.

Respected Contributor

Won't dress up for work because I was terminated during the Pandemic. 

As a "sidebar," (nod to Shawn, who else)  I wish QVC would end the practice of dressing hosts in pajamas.

Respected Contributor

I've been retired for years but if I were still working, I'd probably still be dressing up.  Heck, I dress up to go to the grocery store.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@skatting44 with regards to the return to the office, Jamie Dimon spoke for himself, but there were other CEOs who spoke and expressed the same view about returning to offices.  The event was a summit for CEOs sponsored by the Wall Street Journal, a highly regarded business publication.  The target for return to the office for these high level private sector officials seems to be September/October, when presumably the schools will reopen.  I don't know how up to date you are on covid (this is a fashion forum!), but there have been changes to the CDC guidance with regards to schools, vaccination for those 16 and older is ongoing, and possibly younger children are expected to be approved for vaccination soon. The pandemic seems to have reached a turning point, as the actions being taken are effectively reducing the risk of disease in the United States.  So the expectation, at least here in NY, is that schools will be fully open in the fall.  NYC is currently allowing all the students that want to go to school every day to do so, though I think about 60 percent of public school students are going to school remorely, by their own choice.  I know many adults have returned to office work already.

That being said, my post is about fashion, what do those look like at the return to the office.

I think we are all a little PTSD.  I know I am still reluctant to leave the home, even though, fully vaccinated, it should be OK for me to do so.  I had covid last year.  I have been cooped up for too long.  Not fun.  So I will need to re-learn to leave the home.

Not at all - what I've bolded above. And I am contemporary, but wear watches and a wide range of fashions/styles depending on the situation or event.

Seems like you're out of touch with reality and what many of us are doing/wearing! 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

I may be @Chi-town girl thanks for pointing it out.  Helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian I am saddened to read what happened to you.  I hope something good comes your way!