Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I may be @Chi-town girl thanks for pointing it out.  Helpful.

@NYCLatinaMe - the QVC shopping website/forums is not a good source or substitute for professional help with PTSD or any medical issue. Please seek health care professional resources.  

Use this place to shop with friends, pick up tips for books to read, cooking, hobbies - benign stuff. I'm sorry that you are struggling and wish you the best! 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who's Dressing Up For Work?

Fashion, well  I have already seen  being out and about  that some are more lax at showing off body parts in  business settings that  used to  be taboo attire .

Valued Contributor

I have no issue with his appearance.  The world has changed, I have written about this even pre-pandemic in the forum threads before.  Without totally repeating myself because you could search the forum for more details: I have worked 22 yrs for the same co, started when I was 22.  We have gone from daily suits and ties, skirts/slacks, with a jeans Friday  about 5 years in.  Then before even the pandemic, we were business casual (no shorts, no back tattoos hanging out lol) respectable looking.  Our president wears jeans every day now.  He was a three piece suit man 20 years ago.  Quite frankly, as long as you look presentable and respectable, I see no reason to judge how someone or mandate how someone should dress for work.  It has no bearing on their performance, attitude, personality or willingness to be a team player.

Esteemed Contributor

That's how my CEO dresses now when I see him then he tells me how he miss seeing everyone....unfortunately I can't say the same thing so I just smile.  It use to be only Friday was dress down but with staff WFH and only coming into the office when necessary everyone is appropriately dressed casual.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I may be @Chi-town girl thanks for pointing it out.  Helpful.

@NYCLatinaMe, :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

Won't dress up for work because I was terminated during the Pandemic. 

As a "sidebar," (nod to Shawn, who else)  I wish QVC would end the practice of dressing hosts in pajamas.

That really is sad @maximillian .  I certainly do hope that something new and better comes your way.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@ajsidney12 wrote:

I have no issue with his appearance.  The world has changed, I have written about this even pre-pandemic in the forum threads before.  Without totally repeating myself because you could search the forum for more details: I have worked 22 yrs for the same co, started when I was 22.  We have gone from daily suits and ties, skirts/slacks, with a jeans Friday  about 5 years in.  Then before even the pandemic, we were business casual (no shorts, no back tattoos hanging out lol) respectable looking.  Our president wears jeans every day now.  He was a three piece suit man 20 years ago.  Quite frankly, as long as you look presentable and respectable, I see no reason to judge how someone or mandate how someone should dress for work.  It has no bearing on their performance, attitude, personality or willingness to be a team player.

May I ask what was the nature of your work?  There will still be some fields that require a more conservative look for its employees.  Since they might not want to be a stick in the mud, many have offered their employees things like "casual Friday's and things like that.  @ajsidney12 .

All of various corporate entities won't do the same thing when it comes to how you dress in the office.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Times and fashion change.  Looks fine to me.  I don't wear a shirtwaist, hose and heels to clean house like my grandma.  Or a skirted two piece suit with heels to work.  Or heaven forbid, pants 😜

Clothing says nothing at all about job skills.

Hardly any woman wears any hose for the last 10 years or so.  I have only seen a handful of old fashioned conservative women in DC wear hose since I don't know when.  Or winter when it's cold, and again, not universal, not me.

I wore hosiery for a long time.  Right up until my last working days.  I had to.  Taking public transportation in the cold months; working in an office that froze me to death and more.  I wasn't alone either @NYCLatinaMe .  Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

@gertrudecloset  I get that a lawyer in court should respect the court, or some other types of fields who may require certain fashion etiquette for safety reasons (steel worker wearing flip flops and a dress working on a new skyscraper), reasons they cannot complete their job appropriately, etc.  There are doctors that wear jeans and some people could have some type of issue with that. If he/she was doing surgery, they would obviously be dressed for the OR.  My point is, it does not make her/ him a bad doctor because they wear jeans, yet a patient might have an "opinion" those clothes effect her/his abilities; just because he or she is not wearing slacks/suit pants/khakis, like Dr. Seth Hazlitt (lol😉)   I believe that the tech boom of the 90-2000's effected (some businesses) perspective on stressing work attire always being suit and tie.  We are always evolving, and who knows, maybe stillettos and hose and skirt suits will make a roaring comeback and give me an excuse to buy more clothes!  For the record, I loved dressing the other way when I started my career I was unmarried, no kids, fifteen min commute and having all kinds of time on my hands.  Twenty plus years later throwing on some Dark Jeans (classy not ripped up and no "behind" hanging out) with a nice Belle top is AWESOME to look forward to when I have to be up at 4, have an hr commute one way, kid, spouse, etc. I would rather spend my time with them and not worry about my outfit (ironing or dry cleaning, etc) for tomorrow in addition to all my other duties as a partner and mom.  Btw I wear Iman palazzo pants, or Susan's pants too (really into those materials now because I can just steam instead of iron.) I like the flexibilty that is coming to offices, maybe not all of them, but those that can or want to...So, I see it sort of like WFH options.  After the pandemic many companies are going to keep WFH as a perk for their employees, but they might not have offered it before. It is likely to be more normal and expected in the businesses that can actually WFH, like dress codes evolving.

Esteemed Contributor

@ajsidney12 wrote:

@gertrudecloset  I get that a lawyer in court should respect the court, or some other types of fields who may require certain fashion etiquette for safety reasons (steel worker wearing flip flops and a dress working on a new skyscraper), reasons they cannot complete their job appropriately, etc.  There are doctors that wear jeans and some people could have some type of issue with that. If he/she was doing surgery, they would obviously be dressed for the OR.  My point is, it does not make her/ him a bad doctor because they wear jeans, yet a patient might have an "opinion" those clothes effect her/his abilities; just because he or she is not wearing slacks/suit pants/khakis, like Dr. Seth Hazlitt (lol😉)   I believe that the tech boom of the 90-2000's effected (some businesses) perspective on stressing work attire always being suit and tie.  We are always evolving, and who knows, maybe stillettos and hose and skirt suits will make a roaring comeback and give me an excuse to buy more clothes!  For the record, I loved dressing the other way when I started my career I was unmarried, no kids, fifteen min commute and having all kinds of time on my hands.  Twenty plus years later throwing on some Dark Jeans (classy not ripped up and no "behind" hanging out) with a nice Belle top is AWESOME to look forward to when I have to be up at 4, have an hr commute one way, kid, spouse, etc. I would rather spend my time with them and not worry about my outfit (ironing or dry cleaning, etc) for tomorrow in addition to all my other duties as a partner and mom.  Btw I wear Iman palazzo pants, or Susan's pants too (really into those materials now because I can just steam instead of iron.) I like the flexibilty that is coming to offices, maybe not all of them, but those that can or want to...So, I see it sort of like WFH options.  After the pandemic many companies are going to keep WFH as a perk for their employees, but they might not have offered it before. It is likely to be more normal and expected in the businesses that can actually WFH, like dress codes evolving.

@ajsidney12 thanks for your response.  I didn't read it all because you did not make paragraphs or leave room for a breather in it.  

MY point was that there are of course, still some fields that will not be as casual as we would like.  I can't speak for doctors.  The hospital in which they work would dictate that.  If it is their own practice (they choose).  I have worked Corporate/State/Non Profit and large accounting Firms my entire life.  The only places I worked way back when that only preferred you wear office attire were corporate offices.  That was a long time ago though.  No matter how relaxed some are, there are still some holds out for traditional office attire.

A miner wouldn't go to work in a suit, nor would a life guard.