Honored Contributor

Re: The Myth of Dressing Your Age

Here in florida we frequently see senior women trying to pull off the trends instead of dressing appropriately for their age. They look silly and you wonder if they are getting senile. Don't even get me started on senior citizen women with their saggy bodies wearing bikinis to the pool. Seriously , people just laugh out loud. And the men in speedos - OMG - I have no words to describe that.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes, when the Today Show and others do makeovers, l think the subjects look older in the "afters" than the "befores," lol. It's all subjective. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

Women of every age should dress what they want to wear and feel comfortable wearing. Everyone has a different taste level.   

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There are two words that I really don't like because I have not entirely grasped the true meaning of them when it comes to fashion: AGE APPROPRIATE.

@SilleeMee

Hope you never do.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm another one that wears pretty much what makes me happy. But my frame of happiness usually isn't the top trends that are out there... just let me wear my Harley Boots, jeans and a sparkle top (or pullovers that have something cute (dogs, cats, birds... on them) and that makes me happy.  I wear my hair much like Mary Beth but shorter in the back and slightly longer in the front . I've always had a simple hairstyle, parted on one side and with bangs.....

Nothing is more startling than looking at the back of a very well dressed, trendy woman with a trendy hair cut and have them turn around and they're waaay older than the 30 you'd take them for from the back.... I'm not saying they shouldn't wear what makes them happy....they should.... but this juxtaposition is startling.  Maybe that'll change one day?   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I'm another one that wears pretty much what makes me happy. But my frame of happiness usually isn't the top trends that are out there... just let me wear my Harley Boots, jeans and a sparkle top (or pullovers that have something cute (dogs, cats, birds... on them) and that makes me happy.  I wear my hair much like Mary Beth but shorter in the back and slightly longer in the front . I've always had a simple hairstyle, parted on one side and with bangs.....

Nothing is more startling than looking at the back of a very well dressed, trendy woman with a trendy hair cut and have them turn around and they're waaay older than the 30 you'd take them for from the back.... I'm not saying they shouldn't wear what makes them happy....they should.... but this juxtaposition is startling.  Maybe that'll change one day?   

@Q4u  Bingo!  You hit the nail on the head!  That is exactly my point and happens so very often.  Of course you will get those who say they don't care what others think and wear whatever they want/like.  I would never stand in the way of someone wanting to look silly and don't want anyone telling me there is no such thing as age appropriate.  Of course there is!

Respected Contributor

What to do about getting old?    Do like I did today, one purple streak in my hair...................and I feel 30 years younger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I prefer to see age appropriate fashion, makeup and hair, but people have their own personal styles and I accept that. That being said, it doesn't mean I have not had a good laugh at their expense.

Trusted Contributor

@Buck-i-NanaYou are in good company in that "Don't Care" club.  I guess those inappropiately dressed at the concert I attended the other day don't care and neither do those wearing shorts to a funeral, women with low cut pants that show cracks and super low cut tops that show.....,etc, etc., you get the picture.  Frankly, I think in a civilized society we should care about these things and find it quite sad the extent to which things have dissintegrated and what is now found acceptable.  I think it is rather sad but hey, to each his/her own.

Honored Contributor

The age appropriate topic keeps coming up. I dress the way I feel is appropriate for me. Age doesn't really enter the equation. There are no hard and fast fashion rules. The dos and don't are written by twenty-somethings in fashion magazines.

I'm sure if we were not living in a youth driven society, the subject would never come up...nor would BOTOX, plastic surgery, LIPO and all our makeup questions and attempts to figure out what to do about thinning/grey hair. Don't get me started on the issue of exercise and the sickly thin looking models that have become the norm.

Purchase a full length mirror. Get dressed in what makes you feel wonderful & if you look as great as you feel....you are appropriate in my book.