Honored Contributor

Re: The Myth of Dressing Your Age

[ Edited ]

I'm going on 75.  Today (and almost any day I'm not going anywhere "special") I'm wearing the exact same thing I was wearing during the Kennedy administration. (early 1960s): Black turtleneck shirt, jeans, and boots.

When I went out to meet a friend for lunch (in heavy rain) ... I wore my bright yellow rain slicker just like the one I wore in the 1950s when I was in high school.  Giant white scarf wrapped and wrapped and wrapped around my neck (it was rainy and cold!).

My new eyeglasses have red frames .

For me ... I dressed my age - I looked great and was perfectly comfortable!

Trusted Contributor

If I had nice long legs and cleavage. Who knows lol.

I do think there is a time and place for certain things, church, funerals, job interviews etc.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@Q4u

i'm not sure that i understand this.  you see a woman from behind and she looks just fine until she turns around and she's old?   her clothing and hair are not appropriate?  she looks good from the back and not from the front?

i apologize if i misread this, but i don't get it.  maybe i took a stupid pill today!

She looks about 30 from the back, her way of dressing and doing her hair....... when she turns around it's startling to see that she is not 30 but perhaps in her 60's or so.  Didn't mean to imply she didn't look good from both the back and the front, just that an assumption is made from the back based on clothing and hair styles.  Maybe one day it won't be.....

@Q4u

I'm confused by this too. How does one look 30 from behind? How do you look 60 from behind?

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@Q4u

i'm not sure that i understand this.  you see a woman from behind and she looks just fine until she turns around and she's old?   her clothing and hair are not appropriate?  she looks good from the back and not from the front?

i apologize if i misread this, but i don't get it.  maybe i took a stupid pill today!

She looks about 30 from the back, her way of dressing and doing her hair....... when she turns around it's startling to see that she is not 30 but perhaps in her 60's or so.  Didn't mean to imply she didn't look good from both the back and the front, just that an assumption is made from the back based on clothing and hair styles.  Maybe one day it won't be.....

@Q4u

I'm confused by this too. How does one look 30 from behind? How do you look 60 from behind?

@Andreatoo    @Q4u

I am also confused .... just WHERE are you seeing a woman of 60 looking age 30 "from behind"?    I have never seen this ... anywhere.   And I'm a people watcher!

What I HAVE seen a few times is someone who looks female from behind and they turn around and it's a guy ... long hair .... beard ....  now THAT is startling!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@Q4u

@Q4u

I have seen this both in San Diego and in my new small town environment.  From behind the lady has long (shoulder length or longer) hair that is very thick and styled youthfully.  From the back they are wearing trendy clothing, trendy shoes and each one I've seen do not have a "mature" (overweight in any way) body.  So from behind you get the impression they are around 30.  Because of this concious or subconscious impression, they turn around and their faces (although lovely) are lined and show their age!  

All I'm saying is that yes, there are pre-conceived ideas pertaining to age and dressing.  I've also said that hopefully this will change. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@Q4u

@Q4u

@Andreatoo    @Q4u

I am also confused .... just WHERE are you seeing a woman of 60 looking age 30 "from behind"?    I have never seen this ... anywhere.   And I'm a people watcher!

What I HAVE seen a few times is someone who looks female from behind and they turn around and it's a guy ... long hair .... beard ....  now THAT is startling!  LOL

I have seen ladies in San Diego (especially areas like Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar and Rancho Bernardo) but I've also seen a lady here in my new little town.  I've said over and over that the impression of  youth is from BEHIND.  Thick full hair (whether it's hers or not) styled in a trendy way. Clothing that is trendy, body type is not heavy or mature and from behind you get a conscious or unconscious impression that the person is young.  Then they turn around and you see an aging face (not that it isn't lovely) and it's startling.  I've also said that hopefully this impression of youth and trend only belonging to the youthful will change.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@Q4u

@Q4u

@Andreatoo    @Q4u

I have seen ladies in San Diego (especially areas like Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar and Rancho Bernardo) but I've also seen a lady here in my new little town.  I've said over and over that the impression of  youth is from BEHIND.  Thick full hair (whether it's hers or not) styled in a trendy way. Clothing that is trendy, body type is not heavy or mature and from behind you get a conscious or unconscious impression that the person is young.  Then they turn around and you see an aging face (not that it isn't lovely) and it's startling.  I've also said that hopefully this impression of youth and trend only belonging to the youthful will change.

@Q4u

Well, what this should have shown you that not all older gals have a body type that is "heavy or mature".    And not all younger gals have figures that are fit and firm.

What does seems rather odd to me is that if a woman is going to the trouble to stay fit and dress well, she'd also be using retinol or other things to make her skin look its best.   Doesn't that make sense to you, no matter what small new town you live in?

Honored Contributor

Boy 

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@Q4u

@Q4u

@Andreatoo    @Q4u

@Q4u

Well, what this should have shown you that not all older gals have a body type that is "heavy or mature".    And not all younger gals have figures that are fit and firm.

What does seems rather odd to me is that if a woman is going to the trouble to stay fit and dress well, she'd also be using retinol or other things to make her skin look its best.   Doesn't that make sense to you, no matter what small new town you live in?

Wow, this is a very touchy subject for some of you.  

The ssumptions are out there regarding older women.  Whether or not you've personally seen an older woman dressed like a 20 year old or not is actually a moot point.

I've also stated several times that I hope these assumptions eventually change.  But let's not confuse what we're talking about.... this thread is about dressing "your age" (as opposed to dressing current trends) and I've been speaking about trendy clothing, shoes and hair styles.  I've not been speaking about older women using retinol or other things to help their skin, staying fit and dressing well.... these are all good things.  

I know a lot of mature women keep their figures and it's one of the reasons why they look younger.  And young gals who are overweight generally look more mature than their peers and they should be careful in selecting trend items because not everything will look good on them. It's just a fact.  And understand that I feel they can wear whatever they want.... whether it looks good on them or not.  The same with older ladies.  If it makes either of them feel good, then why not?  But there will be people who will be startled by how they look.  

So understand that I am NOT criticizing an older woman taking care of her skin and dressing well.... that wasn't the subject of this thread.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stay healthy and fit, watch my weight carefully. Although my weight is the same as in my 20's, nothing else is where it once was.

I've made adjustments all through my life, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's in the clothing I wear. It's been easy, since I've always loved classical fashion. It's not hard to adjust.

I think if you don't make adjustments throughout your life, you just look foolish. No matter how great your figure, how young you think you look, you can't wear when you age what you did when young. I don't want that kind of attention.

Honored Contributor

I do think some things are inappropriate, but if others want to wear those things that is their choice. I certainly don't want others dictating to me what I can wear so thank goodness, there are lots of choices out there.