Honored Contributor

The Myth of Dressing Your Age

This week's New York Magazine has a great article entitled:  What to do About Getting Old.  One of the topics is "The Myth of Dressing Your Age."  (This is just one of the topics covered.  Other essays include "Don't Tell Me I Look Good; Fast-Forward to Middle Age; and The Cost of Agelessness.)

Unfortunately, it isn't available online ... but for those of you who are interested should be able to find a copy at your local magazine source.

To quote briefly:  

The whole notion that there are particular pieces of clothing that every woman should give up upon reaching a certain birthday is preposterous.   "Aging out" of certain items happens, it's true, but not on any predictable timetable.  It's different for everyone.

Bottom line ... she believes "dressing your age" means being comfortable with yourelf.  I tend to agree.

There are some pictures accompanying the article ... similar to Cohen's "Advanced Style" book.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Myth of Dressing Your Age

I think that you just know when you don't  feel comfortable in something. Everyone is different, and  rules are made to be broken.🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Years of standing on my feet...no longer able to wear heels. Past weekend certain lady effortlessly wore 4inch heels!! More over not one slip. Many reasons to this day love beautiful shoes. Feat behold arch and structure of the ankle and legs. Like I said work of art.👠
Honored Contributor

Image result for dressing your age word  images

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Clothes, hair, makeup...you have to do what makes you happy. I don't think there's anything that's age-appropriate-inappropriate. I do believe, however, that there are clothes that are event-appropriate-inappropriate... and, even that is specific to the event and the people involved.
I see people of all ages wearing wildly different clothes, wildly different hair colors/styles, wildly different makeup (or none). The common factor that makes me smile is when they own it. It would be a very boring world if we all looked the same.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

Respected Contributor

I think you should use judgement and some people do not.  Therefore, I think there are certain items of clothing that should not be worn after a certain age.

Super Contributor

I wish this trend of 60 year olds getting head to toe makeovers to "try" and look like 30 year olds would end. In the end they just look much older.

Honored Contributor

@leighagemini wrote:

I wish this trend of 60 year olds getting head to toe makeovers to "try" and look like 30 year olds would end. In the end they just look much older.

and chances are, the articles aren't written by 60 somethings!

Trusted Contributor

Also wearing what looks good for your body type.

Respected Contributor

Another topic that won't go away. I wear what I like. Age has nothing to do with my choices. One thing probably sets me apart is that even at age 82, I'm able to wear high heels. Guess I've been blessed with the legs and feet that allow that to happen. Thank God we have freedom of choice.