Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:
Daysdee, the average age of the QVC customer is 55. Unfortunately younger people today don't have the expendable incomes we used to have. Student loans and child care costs mean that women under 40 can't afford to spend $125 on a beauty creme. Its just the new normal in America sadly.

I see things differently with the younger people here. A good number of them are buying homes, new cars and are making quite a life for themselves. 

Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:
Mellisa Rivers has shown no interest in the line. She may own the line but she has directed David Dangle to make every business decision. Mellisa Rivers in my opinion is a bit of a recluse. You just never see or her from her. Dangle for better or worse is running the show.

Are you close friends with David or Melissa? How do you know this?

Honored Contributor

@Bullyeye wrote:

This is along the same lines as Quacker Factory and their going back to refer to Jean Bice.  Newer shoppers do not know who Jean was, but like the line.  Eventually they will probably stop the references to Jean.

@Bullyeye,, Jean's son owns Quacker Factory. I think QVC is required to reference Jean at a certain level in the presentations. I do not see that changing as long as he is owner. 

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:
Daysdee, the average age of the QVC customer is 55. Unfortunately younger people today don't have the expendable incomes we used to have. Student loans and child care costs mean that women under 40 can't afford to spend $125 on a beauty creme. Its just the new normal in America sadly.

This is not a new phenomenon.  I didn't spend $125 on a beauty cream when I was in my 20s and 30s.  I supported myself and had no kids and I still couldn't afford that. 

People have always had student loans, childcare costs etc. 

I don't see a sad "new normal" today. I do see some older folks living in a fantasy world of yester year.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

This is not a new phenomenon.  I didn't spend $125 on a beauty cream when I was in my 20s and 30s.  I supported myself and had no kids and I still couldn't afford that. 

People have always had student loans, childcare costs etc. 

I don't see a sad "new normal" today. I do see some older folks living in a fantasy world of yester year.

I know my adult children have more money than I did at their age and they live in bigger homes than I do now and drive new cars.   They all have great jobs.  Things seem to be better now than they were when I was raising my kids.

They don't buy expensive face creams, because they have no wrinkles.  They dress casual most of the time and have no desire to spend a ton of money on clothing.  Their clothing is disposable.  They toss and buy new.  I buy better to last longer.

Our priorities are different.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Reever wrote:
Mellisa Rivers has shown no interest in the line. She may own the line but she has directed David Dangle to make every business decision. Mellisa Rivers in my opinion is a bit of a recluse. You just never see or her from her. Dangle for better or worse is running the show.

@Reever  This is not true.  Melissa is quite interested in the line and often gives her insight to new items.  Just because she doesn't appear on-air with David doesn't mean she is not interested.  Melissa has appeared many times in social media wearing the Joan Rivers items before they are officially presented on air.  She has also loaned David Joan's original jewelery so David and his team can make replicas that he has presented on QVC.

So we may not see Melissa, and she let's David run it all, but she's quite involved to the point she wants to be.

@Caaareful Shopper Thanks for your post. I kept thinking about saying something similar. And to call Melissa a recluse was a bit much. Just because @Reever doesn't see her doesn't mean Melissa is a recluse. Personally, I don't run in the circles that Melissa runs in, so I don't see her either. Doesn't make her a recluse.