Respected Contributor
Anyone else wonder if David Dangle will ever change the name of the Joan Rivers line ? I know older women may appreciate Joan but how many women under 40 have an affinity for Joan Rivers? My twenty something niece and nephew claim they never heard of her. In order for the line to flourish they eventually will have to change the name of the line I believe. David Dangle needs to be business savy.
Honored Contributor

A brand name doesn't need to be the name of a real person.  Ever see the "real" Betty Crocker, Mrs Butterworth, Little Debbie, Aunt Jemima, Marie Callendar?  I'd say the line is designed to appeal to those who do remember the real Joan Rivers.  If David wants to appeal to a younger buyer, he needs to do more than change the name; he needs to step up his game.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't think the name will be changed because, as I understand it, it is Melissa Rivers who has the control over the line. I could be entirely wrong on this, but I read that she received "ownership" of it upon Joan's death and depends upon David to continue the line as her mother was guiding it. David and Joan traveled all over the world developing the line.

Like I said, I could be all wrong on this, but I have read that more than once, but it was a long time ago.

Respected Contributor
Mellisa Rivers has shown no interest in the line. She may own the line but she has directed David Dangle to make every business decision. Mellisa Rivers in my opinion is a bit of a recluse. You just never see or her from her. Dangle for better or worse is running the show.
Esteemed Contributor

David and Joan were great friends.  The line was based on her own tastes and wardrobe.  I doubt David would change any of that out of loyalty to Joan.

Honored Contributor

Joan Rivers, the corporation, employed David Dangle as CEO to help design and promote clothing and jewelry for them. He is a representative for the company,and essentially runs it but does not own it, therefore; he can't change the name.

it wouldn't matter if Melissa is 100% involved or only 1% involved.  If she inherited the business, it is hers.  

I don't understand why anyone would want to change the name.

Honored Contributor

It would be fun to see what would be offered if the designers / vendors we're given free range but the bottom line on what you see goes to the buyers at QVC. It's no accident that it's sometimes hard to distinguish one line from the next

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

I don't think the name will be changed because, as I understand it, it is Melissa Rivers who has the control over the line. I could be entirely wrong on this, but I read that she received "ownership" of it upon Joan's death and depends upon David to continue the line as her mother was guiding it. David and Joan traveled all over the world developing the line.

Like I said, I could be all wrong on this, but I have read that more than once, but it was a long time ago.

You are absolutely correct and the name will never be changed as long as Melissa is in charge. And why should it? Joan appealed to a certain type; classy and polished. (FYI, if you like something, buy it. It doesn’t matter whose name is on the tag.) And hey, do you think the day will ever come where the name Jeanne Bice does not follow Quacker Factory? Not in our lifetime. 😊

Esteemed Contributor

Re: David Dangle

[ Edited ]

A brand name change is a huge decision for the company so I don’t see that happening.  If they want to appeal to a younger/ broader audience I suspect the best way to do it is with a new line.  You don’t make a name change without a lot of thought and  planning.  It takes years and $ to build a brand.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

It would be fun to see what would be offered if the designers / vendors we're given free range but the bottom line on what you see goes to the buyers at QVC. It's no accident that it's sometimes hard to distinguish one line from the next

@Andreatoo  When Joan was still here there was more variety in her line. As it is now either David or those QVC buyers you mention must love boyfriend shirts.