Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@dooBdoo , I bought the XR within the last month.  I had not planned to buy a new phone until December or later but the battery started acting up.  I told the sales guy I was hoping for a sale,  he told me iphones don’t EVER go on sale. 

Not sure that that is technically true as I think they do a price drop when new ones come don’t they?

I am in Canada!  LM

@Lilysmom   Sales guy should have offered to change your battery.  There was a lawsuit against Apple because of their phone batteries.  Anyone with an iphone 6 or more can get a battery replacement for $29.  Google Apple battery lawsuit.  There are over 60 class action lawsuits accusing Apple of throttling older phones to slow down the battery and forcing customers into buying new phones.

Contributor

I have Iphone 6 plus about 4/5 years no problem here.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo , you are a smart shopper!  LM

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Scooby Doo,  I think I win with the oldest iPhone (so far, at least)!🙃   My iPhone 5 (purchased in 2012) iOS 10.3.4 has been a real workhorse, no problems and still working fine.   My only concern is the incompatibility with iOS 11.x and later and less in the way of security updates, and I'm keenly aware of that.   It certainly has paid for itself in 7 years, and then some.   I'm watching the offers for these new models with interest!

@dooBdoo 

I’m another 6S+ user and my phone works fine too. I don’t use it for much except texting, a few calls and a bit of internet and checking mail.

But lack of security updates is what concerns me too.  The 6 is the oldest model that will be able to update to iOS 13 shortly.  That means that when the next big iOS update after that comes, it will most likely be left out.  Even though I don’t use my phone for everything like some people do, I’m reluctant to have one that won’t update, strictly for security reasons.  Especially when it’s synced with my iPad.  

What I’d really like is a basic iPhone (and iPad) without all the fancy bells and whistles and the fancy price tag.  I don’t use most of the features on either.

I am going to get the new iPad when it’s available in the next few weeks because my iPad is no longer updateable and it’s what I use instead of a computer now.  I don’t want to be shopping or accessing any accounts with an outdated operating system.

Esteemed Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

I have an iPhone 6S Plus that is about 3 years old.  Works fine for me.  

I recently got an email from Apple, offering me $200 for it, to put toward a new iPhone X.  I guess they had a large inventory, lol.

@onlyshopsonline 

I received a text with a similar offer. 

Not falling for it. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise 

Do you know my aunt? LOL

She has AT & T as her service provider, and has had her latest flip phone for about 10 or 11 years. Her original phone that she had from AT & T she had to dispose of because AT & T sent her a letter telling her that they would not long service it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Scooby Doo,  I think I win with the oldest iPhone (so far, at least)!🙃   My iPhone 5 (purchased in 2012) iOS 10.3.4 has been a real workhorse, no problems and still working fine.   My only concern is the incompatibility with iOS 11.x and later and less in the way of security updates, and I'm keenly aware of that.   It certainly has paid for itself in 7 years, and then some.   I'm watching the offers for these new models with interest!

@dooBdoo 

I’m another 6S+ user and my phone works fine too. I don’t use it for much except texting, a few calls and a bit of internet and checking mail.

But lack of security updates is what concerns me too.  The 6 is the oldest model that will be able to update to iOS 13 shortly.  That means that when the next big iOS update after that comes, it will most likely be left out.  Even though I don’t use my phone for everything like some people do, I’m reluctant to have one that won’t update, strictly for security reasons.  Especially when it’s synced with my iPad.  

What I’d really like is a basic iPhone (and iPad) without all the fancy bells and whistles and the fancy price tag.  I don’t use most of the features on either.

I am going to get the new iPad when it’s available in the next few weeks because my iPad is no longer updateable and it’s what I use instead of a computer now.  I don’t want to be shopping or accessing any accounts with an outdated operating system.

@geezerette 

Did not know about the 6 being the oldest out there that will update. I know someone that is still using a four.  Also, not comfortable with having one that will not update. I guess when that time comes I will push myself up to a 7. Security is important to me, since I do use my phone frequently, for multiple things. 

Respected Contributor

I guess I've had it 2-3 years.  It's a 7.   I'll keep it until it won't get updates and then I'll get a new one.  

I'd love to get a Google Pixel but they are only with verizon and I wouldn't use them if it meant not having a cell phone.   

I use my phone a lot.   All the time for this and that.  

Regular Contributor

I have an 8 Plus.  I’m a tech junkie & stopped there for now.  I didn’t  see much reason to upgrade.  My late husband would buy me the newest & he would take my old one.  After he passed, I upgraded once & sold my old one to my home health care aide.  My understanding is that the new release is a bit less expensive, but doesn’t offer any reason to upgrade.  My Carrier has been AT&T since day one about 20 years ago.  I’m on Long Island & coverage has been outstanding.

Honored Contributor

Re: How old is your iphone?

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

A couple of years.  I keep them until they no longer have auto updates then I get the then current model.

A very helpful benchmark, and rule of thumb. Thank you for posting it!

Wanted to add, if the phone screen is made LARGER, I have usually upgraded (but not always or immediately) because of the need to be able to see it more easily. 

The screen of the new phone is a little larger so I may also be considering that.