Honored Contributor

How did they get my password?

I got a spam email this morning giving me my password (it really was one of my passwords) and saying they were watching me and listening to me.  It said they had installed Malware on my computer.  It asked for $1,200 to be paid to them by Bitcoin within 2 days.  Fortunately the password isn't one that I use for banking.

It was a long email and said some gross untrue things.  It said it could put all my information on the web if I didn't pay them.

It came to my junk mail box.  Normally I would just delete something like that, but they did have my password.  I NEVER click on a link in an email.  I never believe any email that says my account has been compromised and to click on the link and change my password.

I immediately scheduled a call from Apple.  They did a Malware Bytes check and also checked to see if anyone could video me or listen to me.  They looked at different things in lots of areas of my computer and could find nothing.  I spent a lot of time on the phone with Apple with nothing found.  She told me to change any place where I used that password and to run Malware Bytes and clear my history frequently.

I can't figure out how they got my password.  I haven't given it to anybody.  Is it someone who works for one of the places that I use this password?  The Apple consultant said she couldn't guess how they got it.  Sorry this was so long.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How did they get my password?

[ Edited ]

I've recieved this type of email a few times in the past. I never open, and delete it.  Since I never opened it, I don't know what the message said other than the message line which did have my correct info. Nothing has come of it.  You will never figure out how unscrupulous hackers get this information but it is done all the time to prey on the vulnerables.

Honored Contributor

They are hackers -- experts at what they do.  Who knows how they do it.  These days we put all our information out there so it's a liability we all have to deal with. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack   That is very scary.  Thank you for posting this warning to everyone.

I think it's a great reminder to have different passwords for different sites just in case someone somehow gets access to one, so the others are still secure.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I would never click on that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I received the same email message on a Time Warner email address that I stopped using about 2-3 years ago........periodically I check it.  Ignored it. 

I also use different passwords for my banking accounts and different ones for my retail accounts. 

Honored Contributor

I received some threatening emails like that about a month ago.  They were in my junk folder which I promptly emptied.  I didn't open them or read them.  Some said, in the title no less, that they had photos or video they were going to release.  Really?  I don't post personal photos online so they must have been in my backyard spying on me, rofl.

I'd say I received them a couple of times a week for maybe 2 weeks and then they moved on to another person.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I have gotten "supposed" emails from my brother-in-law, and a girlfriend, both DECEASED............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I would never click on that.

@goldensrbest   I didn't.  My mail is already open.  I don't do anything to open it.  As long as you don't click on a link it's okay to read the email.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I'm getting the calls that my computer has been infected by several different countries and says to call them to get a new number for my computer.