Respected Contributor

Re: Would you loan money to a friend or family member?

i would not now, but i have loaned money and got maybe 40% of it repaid. i was too trusting

Honored Contributor

I have given money to family members many times.  Never expected to be paid back.  When I have it, I give it and forget about it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I have a sympathetic heart, and my husband and I have always been the type to say you never know when you might need help, so we have and we have always been paid back.......Immediate family only though.......

Super Contributor

Wilma, when I said losers, I was talking about people who smoke or drink their money away, spend foolishly, never save a dime, abuse credit cards, refuse to work, and have the attitude that the world owes them a living. They bring hard times on themselves again and again and expect others to bail them out.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

That's always a tough decision. They say that the surest way to lose a friend is to lend him/her money. If you're not paid back-- which is usually the case-- you've lost the friend AND the money.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

I have raised my two 20-something sons in this way as I do:

Depending on circumstances, I would give whatever amount of $ of MY choice to someone as a gift, regardless of what amount they asked for.  Never a loan or co-signer- even to my sons. My money, my rules.

My brother, who also works multiple jobs and is financially well off, and I did not give $ to our spendy sister when she and hubby declared bankruptcy ( at least she claims they did). Two sisters gave her very generous amounts. They will never see it again. DS who accepted the $ has decided she is no longer speaking to one of them; only speaking to the other because she continues to hit her up for more.

Honored Contributor

No. If I had money to give, I would give it and not loan it.

Esteemed Contributor

Requests I have received have been too open ended, like, "how much can you lend me?" Again, I would help out a friend or family member with a gift if they were truly in need. Such people are few and far between. The others are plentiful.

Respected Contributor

As a rule, no.  The exception might be my closest family members who I know would pay me back but I would still need to know what it was for.

At this stage of  my life, thank goodness!, I have no problem saying no to anyone about anything.

Honored Contributor

yes