Honored Contributor

I worked for exactly one week as a waitress at a restaurant in a very popular amusement park in  our area. They didn't pay anything, it was 1966, I basically worked for tips and they gave you a free meal. I also worked in a dress factory for a year and made 900 dollars for the whole year, it was piece work. I decided I better get an education and did.

Honored Contributor

Re: Worst Job You Ever Had

[ Edited ]

@AndiCat wrote:

Hotel housekeeping. Some people are just disgusting. 

@AndiCat  I did that for awhile....backbreaking work!  And yes....people are disgusting filthy yuk!

i can say that working these kinds of jobs teaches one to admire those who do this kind of work for a living.....I personally have great respect for those in the service industry. And where would we be without those who do this work? 

Esteemed Contributor

In 1998/99 I worked as a temp in several offices of Blue Cross in southern California --- Calabasas, Newbury Park & Camarillo. The supervisors were women in their 40's -- and they were the meanest people.They would give me work and totally ignore me - as though I were invisible. I worked in their Newbury Park office for around 3 weeks - and then a female came to my desk and led me to the Human Resources Dept. nr the main entrance. I was told that my job was over - and they didn't let me go back to the desk - another female brought me my purse and jacket. When I was in the HR office, I told the female how mean my supervisor was and that she never talked to me. The female said, "yes - we're going to have someone come in to train them". 

At this point, I was almost 60 yrs old and desperate for a job --- and never experienced such rude/obnoxious behavior.

I retired at 62 yrs old - and had worked for 45 yrs - and had mostly great jobs.

Honored Contributor

KP duty in United States Army

hn

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

nurseing home 1972...

Honored Contributor

I had "temp" jobs one summer, during break from college. The agency sent me on one job that had me standing  on a crowded Manhattan sidewalk on a hot, humid day, dressed in a shiny foil get-up. I was handing out flyers promoting a new bank that was opening a branch nearby. 

I got some of the sleaziest come-ons from men. Fortunately it was just for one day!

Most of that summer l was placed in office jobs that lasted for a few weeks at a time-- much better!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

@makena wrote:

The one I'm doing now.  I've worked for this major insurance company for 23 years and we've recently been forced to work in a position we had no qualification for and at the same salary with no increase.  We were given two choices, take it or leave it.  Most left due to being close to retirement or just left the company all together.  I've tried to stick it out.  The training they did provide was absolutely useless.  Little by little they have gotten rid of employees either by firing or making them so miserable they leave.  Getting time off approved is nearly impossible.  It's based on all offices across the US in the same position.  If I want a week off and there is no time available on Wednesday, they will approve Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri.  Who wants to take a week vacation and have to come go in one day in the middle of the week.  If you call in ill after two times, you will be given points.  If you accumulate too many points, you get warnings and your "shield" or "folder" is marked.  . 

The managers monitor your every move and often will sit behind you and watch you work without warning.  Mico-managing, so they call it.  It all changed after the person who ran the company stepped down and retired.  It was a family run business but not now. 

@makena

I'm pretty sure I know this company. Based in Illinois?

I worked there for 25 years before things changed. A good friend works there now and is retiring at age 55 this summer. She can't take it anymore.

My worst job was a summer detasseling corn. Up and out in the fields at dawn. Working in the sun all day. I was 17 and came home every day, hosed off the mud and fell into bed exhausted by 7:30 each night.

We did have some fun, but it's definitely a job for the young.

Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago, I worked part time for Hallmark. I had to put up the displays and cards at Walmart, HEB and the post office. Why I hated it, it was a lot of work for very little pay and very few hours. And it was very difficult to do your job when Mgmt in these establishments wouldn't give you the required space to put up your displays. Example, I received Christmas Ornaments in August and I needed 12 feet in the Garden Dept to set them up. But Walmart wasn't having it. They weren't ready for Christmas and Hallmark is on you to set them up and send photos. No thank you. I found another part time job, less work, more hours and money. 

Respected Contributor

At a large window manufacturing company. Using a machine to cut metal (that was really long) in angles, then I got to dip them into a vat of acid. 

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 yup.  I think we're thinking the same company.  I'm trying to hang on because our location will probably close in a couple years.  Claim team manages and their secretaries all lost their jobs last month.  No offers, just good-bye, nice seeing you.  If they close our office at least we will get offered an incentive.