Honored Contributor

Re: What measures are working to prevent Homelessness

I was a runaway teen living on the streets before there was any public sympathy.We hid out as much as we could so the police wouldn’t find out we didn’t have an address and put us in foster care for vagrancy.We were panhandling for money to buy food.I think if it wasn’t so tough to stay hidden and get people to donate money for food that I might have chosen to stay on longer than I did.We had no rules,responsibilities or abuse but it was tough to find a place to sleep at night and we never had much to eat.I think if people had taken care of us we probably would have continued on living on the streets as we were able to avoid all of the problems of our home life and whatever else we felt burdened us at that time in our lives.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 in 1964 the War on Poverty was introduced.

Wonder how that's worked?

Trusted Contributor

not near enough.  here in utah, the welled connected just give lip service to the homeless.  all they want is to build very costly housing.  they closed a homeless shleter because mitt romeny's sons bought property near it and they did not want to view them every day.

if you don't have money or they can't make money off you , thwen you are of no value in our society today.

everyone one running for elected office has a plan for the homeless until they get elected and then they sell out to the developers and forget the homeless..  they want to push them to another city.

here in utah, they buy bus tickets fopr them and deal with them that way.

Honored Contributor

There are laws in my area that no one can live on the streets, so it never started and got out of hand as it has in other areas.  

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

Need good paying jobs & affordable housing to start.

So many of those on the streets are mentally ill and need to be institutuionalized.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are many homeless who have already been served through social agencies, churches, and nonprofits and received “help” yet they are still homeless. I don’t believe every homeless person is mentally ill, but it seems to have become the label used to describe them all. The person may not have the skill set for a good-paying job. They may have dropped out of skill training opportunities. They may have damaged or destroyed the housing provided to them. Perhaps they committed petty crimes. Some people are fiercely independent, but lack the skills and resources to take care of themselves. Some homeless have substance abuse problems. I don’t understand the rationale of supplying drugs and needles to homeless addicts any more than I would understand giving bottles of liquor to a homeless alcoholic. Affordable housing is now through “ vouchers”. Yesteryear’s “housing projects” are no more. The way homelessness is approached now is not helping, it seems to be exacerbating the problem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are some people that are homeless because they are drug addicts or alcoholics and do not want help.  I believe they all need to be rehabilitated and I would think each individual City with the problem, with the help of the government, if needed.  I know San Francisco has a big problem with some of the homeless urinating on the streets and it is disgusting.  I don't know if the City is doing anything about it.  Also, if you are mentally ill and living on the street you definitely need medication and placed in the appropriate facility.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

We have a lot of homeless people here and many are veterans. As has been mentioned, many people do not want help or to change. I used to always buy extra food (and dog treats) when people were sitting outside of Walmart.

Then I saw the van drive up and pick up the current person and drop off the next shift. I am still a sucker if there is a dog with them, but I will never give money - just food. And I do think twice now because I have seen the underside of this with people who are just using the situation to get money.

Trusted Contributor

If the hmm... people that have come to our country...can get benefits, housing, food health  care etc..  why can't our homeless be treated the same.    What a shame.