Esteemed Contributor

Re: What measures are working to prevent Homelessness

@x Hedge wrote:

Experience tells me this thread will turn into a political argument. But I'll contribute this:

I worked with homeless individuals & families for six years. My contacts were in every church and charitable agency, and every social service organization with outreach and homeless shelter programs in the most densely populated part of the state.

My program actually set homeless people up in housing, complete with some basic stuff like beds/table/lamps/bedding&dishes, etc.

This was after other agencies had resolved contributing issues that had led to their homelessness in the first place.

And they weren't just dumped out there. They remained in contact with professionals who 'held their hand' as they resumed life off the street.

Sounds like a plan, huh?

This is where I'll stop, because it's not all pink unicorns and balloons.

@skatting44 , this issue is way too complex to discuss here, beyond the "feel good" surface. 

I echo your sentiment. It is much too complex an issue but the dialogue is important. Many people are far removed from it and therefor do not understand the true impact of it. FUNDING is the most important factor but as government resources are cut for one reason or another, the issue is further compounded . I live in a Seattle suburb and am uncomfortable whenever I venture into the city, because homelessness is so pervasive there. My heart bleeds at how dismal the situation is. I donate to various organizations when I can, but accept that I am a guppy in a vast ocean. Advocates are doing everything possible and deserve the highest praise.

~~~All we need is LOVE

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Your posting won't last the day but......50 years ago we didn't just dump the mentally ill out on the street.  There were institutions providing a home - food - and medical attention.  Today we're so PC - can't do that.

I don't think you have a good handle on what politically correct means, @fthunt 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think there's anything someone can do to prevent it but you can volunteer with groups that give a handup & pay attention to tax increases, wage increases that eliminate entry level jobs, mental health issues, crime, life destroying drug issues including a NO for recreational pot & so many other things...just get involved & realize Yes, you can help. Volunteering for reading - writing programs can do wonders, 50% of adults in major cities in my state are functionally illiterate...you can't a keep job or a roof over your head if you can't do the basics. There will always be people who don't  want to take care of themselves BUT don't kid yourself...1 bad thing happens & you can fall fast & hard into the homeless hole & get lost in it.

Esteemed Contributor

News just released (SAT) NYC Chinatown - 4 homeless men killed by another with metal pipe while they slept.    1:00 this day

Honored Contributor

Not enough it seems. We do still have Habitat for humanity.

Honored Contributor

We desperately need a government plan similar to the works programs instituted during the Depression. We need vast intervention on myriad levels, both immediate and ongoing.

This makeshift approach we're seeing now is futile. There has to a concerted war against homelessness.

Unfortunately, my suggestion will not come to fruition any time soon. The powers that be have to first, understand the scope; second, refrain from blaming or being disgusted by all of it; third, initiate the war on many different levels.

Would the rest of have to pay for this? Absolutely. But the alternative is unthinkable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Experience tells me this thread will turn into a political argument. But I'll contribute this:

I worked with homeless individuals & families for six years. My contacts were in every church and charitable agency, and every social service organization with outreach and homeless shelter programs in the most densely populated part of the state.

My program actually set homeless people up in housing, complete with some basic stuff like beds/table/lamps/bedding&dishes, etc.

This was after other agencies had resolved contributing issues that had led to their homelessness in the first place.

And they weren't just dumped out there. They remained in contact with professionals who 'held their hand' as they resumed life off the street.

Sounds like a plan, huh?

This is where I'll stop, because it's not all pink unicorns and balloons.

@skatting44 , this issue is way too complex to discuss here, beyond the "feel good" surface. 

certainly no political spin from me  , just a  human outcry   for change  .

Yes, I understand the root cause of homelessness is  multifactorial . I  have worked as a volunteer with homeless people who come to a church soup kitchen  for meals. I've volunteered  with people who have been institutionalized  and taught them how to cook basic meals when they were released to re enter society .

I  currently do volunteer  as a Registered Nurse with a faith based  mobile health  van that provides free health care to those uninsured and those that cannot afford their medications as underinsured .  The best way to help others  is to not only raise awareness but to also hope that others more fortunate  take a stand  and get involved.

I have also  worked with Veterans . I do know that many refuse the shelters because of the rules at shelters . Unfortunately , some homeless have substance abuse dependency  and mental illness. It's really tough because so many do not seek care for these 2 problems  . You cannot  make anyone seek care for these issues .

Honored Contributor

We must hold hope in our hearts. To say it is too much,is the worst thing we can do. I always harken back to Mother T. She had nothing but determination ,to make a difference, and she did

Honored Contributor

Living on the street must be so lousy--I can't really blame anyone for wanting to be drunk through the experience.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Some people want to live that way.  I've talked to them and have been ridiculed for providing for them. They have told us to get lost and they didn't need or want anything we were bringing.  What we brought was new stuff and foods that we would and did eat.  How do you, or a city help that?  

As far as housing ... that can't happen in a city that wants to "grow" and outrage the citizens that are already housed here.  They are forcing "native" citizens out for the new and improved ... at outrageous prices.

Some day ... all these tall skinnies, airbon rentals, etc. may be nice places for the homeless.  

Yes, there are so many that can be helped, should be helped, would appreciate the help, but how to find them is the tough job.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."