Honored Contributor

Re: What measures are working to prevent Homelessness

I believe anyone of us can fall on hard times and find ourselves on the outside looking in, especially if you don't have a support system like family. One medical event can bankrupt a single working person and make them homeless.We can give all the lip service we want to this problem, but we need to offer serious resources to those who are in need. I believe in the thinking, "it takes a village" and build it and they will come. You can't force the homeless into situations they don't want no matter if they are mentally ill or not. Abused kids are not kids forever if they survive, but they need a break and guidance. We keep putting our faith in people who have no idea what it's like to worry about money, let alone a place to sleep or their next meal, to fix these problems. It says in the Bible,"there will always be the poor", so we have our work cut out for us.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@suzyQ3 in 1964 the War on Poverty was introduced.

Wonder how that's worked?

@Snowpuppy, no one thinks that we can abolish all poverty or homelessness.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

If we keep homing in on the fraction of people who chose to live on the streets, we are missing the bigger picture and also subtly both blaming them and presuming that we are at a loss as to how to proceed.

Why does one choose to live on the streets? I would bet that 99.9 percent of them do so because of severe issues they have. And once there, they may be afraid of change. It is the rare person who just picks up and leaves his or life to live in such dreadful circumstances.

But really, if we adopted a major multipronged program akin to the WPA (Works Progress Administration) that was so successful during the Great Depression, I think we would at least get a better handle on this crisis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is/was a documentary that discussed the homeless problem in Seattle (and then moved to San Francisco) as being a mental health and drug issue; not a homeless issue. I watched it (about 2 hours) and found myself in tears when they focused on young men and women who were obviously dealing with mental health issues and people just passed them by while the individual was in obvious distress. But this is what happens when we become numb to others who suffer. 

There are no easy answers. IMHO, the fact that we barely treat mental health even WITH insurance shows the priority we place on it; no surprise so many are homeless with these issues. Treatment for drug addiction is also too expensive for the majority who have insurance and the first thing states cut funding wise are services for children and mental health/drug addiction.

I can only speak for MY county when I say that the push-back against funding services for "the needy" is VERY strong after our last county tax increase. I now sit on a county government board regarding social services/welfare for citizens and it disgusts me to hear how people give so much lip service about doing good (especially to get elected) but once elected? Forget about it. 

Stigma, NIMBY syndrome, feeling strapped for cash while you see corporations pay so little, crunched for time while working and trying to take care of you/your own family....people are trying to survive and take care of themselves. You push the guilt away by using the homeless as a scapegoat for other problems/blame them for their situation. In some cases, yes, they choose to live on the streets. For the majority, they are living in their own world of hell.

My father could have been one of them (alcoholism) but due to mother and money, was able to hide it and drink at home/where it was "ok" to drink (3 martini lunches, the club, etc). I think of my own son who is an addict. I think of a dear friend whose daughter is bipolar and turned to crack while at college to deal with it. I think of my nephew who is severely autistic...ALL of them lived/live a life that is enriched/protected due to private health insurance,involved family members and yes...money. If it were not for those things, they would be on the street as well. But if the one with insurance were to lose their job....

There are SO MANY who need and want help. The roadblocks to doing just that are... overwhelming. Doable but still, overwhelming. *heavy sigh*

Honored Contributor

I am a firm believer of taking care of home FIRST!

This country spends & sends billions to trillions of dollars to other countries no matter what the "disaster" when we cannot shelter & feed and/or take care of our own. 

Case in point:  There are still "displaced" & homeless people through no fault of their own due to "disasters" we have had in the USofA since before Katrina.  These folks are still fighting the government (FEMA) for $$$$.

Where are the billions-trillions government disater aid for citizens of the US?????

Come to think of it, the ONLY time I remember USofA coming together to "make it rain" was 9/11/01.  Nothing like that since as far as "making it rain" for USofA.

There are other concerns about this subject matter on my mind but I do not want this thread to go poof.gifso I will I will now step down from the......

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@SandySparkles   Seattle is one of the wealthiest and highest-taxed cities in America, so the problem isn't lack of funding.  It's city policies that permit and even incentivize people with severe mental/medical/substance abuse problems to occupy the streets, living in their own feces, urine, and trash, and creating health and safety hazards not just for themselves but for everyone else in the vicinity.  There is nothing humane or civilized or compassionate about a city that prefers tarps and needle exchanges to the building of suitable facilities that provide temporary or long-term services for those who can't or won't care for themselves.  Seattle residents deserve better, but it's up to them to demand it.

Honored Contributor

As other posters have stated, this is a complex issue and while difficult to address and try to resolve it isn't hopeless either.  There are so many issues contributing to someone being homeless and each issue has to be resolve which takes time, effort, involvement and money.  I will end my comments here,

Honored Contributor

The problem areas where homelessness has skyrocketed is where law enforcement has been told to take a hands-off approach...allow the parks and streets to be used as restrooms and allow sleeping and camping out anywhere. We all see how well that has worked.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vsm wrote:

@SandySparkles   Seattle is one of the wealthiest and highest-taxed cities in America, so the problem isn't lack of funding.  It's city policies that permit and even incentivize people with severe mental/medical/substance abuse problems to occupy the streets, living in their own feces, urine, and trash, and creating health and safety hazards not just for themselves but for everyone else in the vicinity.  There is nothing humane or civilized or compassionate about a city that prefers tarps and needle exchanges to the building of suitable facilities that provide temporary or long-term services for those who can't or won't care for themselves.  Seattle residents deserve better, but it's up to them to demand it.

I am aware of and concur with much of your statement. However, all programs need properly allocated funding to even begin to further address this complex issue. There are programs in place that are doing what they can but, their main complaint is lack of funding. You eloquently described the levity of the situation. 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

If the hmm... people that have come to our country...can get benefits, housing, food health  care etc..  why can't our homeless be treated the same.    What a shame.

@Junebug54 ,

Please provide your source proving that "hmm... people who come to our country" all get services that homeless people are denied.