Super Contributor

What To Do About Neighbors Dog

Neighbors got this dog a few months ago. Very nice dog, would say it's a terrier mix or something. White hair, medium to small size.
Haven't seen the dog in awhile, the boy brought it over today to say hi. I almost took that dog. This poor thing was matted horribly. Nails have not been cut. They were scratching the boy while he's holding her. The dog could barely see with all the hair in her face. I have never seen a dog so badly matted. Huge chunks of fur. I told the boy they really need to get her groomed. They are causing her pain. He said their mom couldn't afford it. She's on assisted living or something. She has six kids I believe. The boy said this dog is good. She can walk around the block but still comes back to them. They leave the gate open for her. The boy is really sweet. He loves playing with my dogs and treats them kindly. It breaks my heart to see a dog in that shape. I'm sure it's not up to date on shots so I can't just offer to have her groomed. And honestly, I don't know how charitable I want to be with this family. Sounds bad but if a door is open, some will try and take advantage. She has a teenage son who has friends that have guns. That's another story. So I'm trying to protect myself as well but something needs to be done about that sweet dog. Any ideas?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What To Do About Neighbors Dog

How sad.    I would advise the local police - or local animal protection services.  Animal services would be my first choice - police coming to their door would be a shock to the family.  BUT you must contact some agency for immediate assistance to make them aware of the situation for the dog's health and well being.

Honored Contributor

I think the boy means the mother is on 'assistance', getting welfare or some kind of money from the state?

Thus she cannot afford to care for the dog properly I guess, (if I'm correct about what he was trying to say).

If that's the case, it's a shame she even took on a dog--another mouth to feed.

I can only hope the 6 kids are getting fed well (consistantly and healthy meals).

The son with friends with guns, I don't even know what to say about that.

But, if the dog was in that bad of a need of a grooming, maybe you could offer a trip to get the fur taken care of and the nails done.  ?

It would open up the lines of communication with the mother, maybe it'll make her realize she really shouldn't have the dog to begin with and needs to give it up.

That would break my heart to see.  I don't think I've ever seen a dog with matted fur.

Valued Contributor

Choose a groomer that has a good rep and give this family a gift certificate for her to be groomed. 

Perhaps even offer to take her yourself with the boy as a ride a long. 

What a wonderful gift to give someone that has taken in a dog that is loved by all the children.

In my experience, proof of vaccinations is not needed to get this deserving dog cleaned up and feeling better.

Many blessings for caring about this family and their pooch.

Super Contributor

All the groomers here in town have to have updated shots for dogs. I have mine groomed and know from experience.
Honored Contributor

I think I would proceed cautiously and not get involved.  I may instead make an anonymous call to the city.

Respected Contributor

Around here you can find an independent groomer who doesn't ask for vaccination certs.  My dogs go to one.  PetsMart and PetCo won't even clip their nails without.  Maybe you could offer to cut the matts out with hair scissors.   I've had to do that before, and then trim it up. 

Honored Contributor

Wondering if you and the little boy could help clean up the dog a bit without paying a groomer.  My reasoning is that if they find out you have enough extra income to buy a gift certificate for grooming, they might hit you up for other things.  Even worse is what a teen with guns might plot to do.

Valued Contributor

Cut the mats out. Get it while it's taking it's walk, fix it up, then let it go on it's usual unattended walk back home.

Some people don't realize that mats hurt.

Honored Contributor

For me it would be a case of mind my own business.